60 Gallon Planted Tank Stock List

1. b

barbsandbicuspids New Member Member

Hi all,

I have a 60 gallon planted tank which currently has black sand, a large piece of drifwood, lots of plants and a current stock of:
    8 tiger barbs
    3 cherry barbs
    3 odessa barbs
    1 rainbow shark
    1 bristlenose pleco

All of these fish are far from full size with the rainbow shark being the biggest fish in the tank (about 3 inches long). I want to add more fish but I am not sure if the tank will be overstocked if I up my stock list to:
    8 tiger barbs
    3 cherry barbs
    5 odessa barbs
    5 gold barbs
    2 three spot gourami
    1 rainbow shark
    3 yoyo loaches
    1 bristlenose pleco

Thank you for the help and I appreciate any fish suggestions to add or remove from the tank!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You're overstocked in the upper-middle level. I'd choose two of the schooling species (tiger, cherry, odessa, or gold barbs) and increase their schools to 10-12 each. If you keep them in too low of numbers, they'll be nippy. They're also schooling fish and need to be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.

Watch for the barbs nipping the gouramis, and be prepared to rehome the gouramis if this happens.

Yoyo loaches should be in larger groups, but I'm not sure how they'll do with the rainbow shark.

What are the dimensions of the tank? Your tank may not be large enough for a group of yoyos.

Would you consider zebra loaches instead?

What about this for a final stocking?

12x Barb species #1
    12x Barb species #2
    2x 3 spot gourami
    1x Rainbow shark
    1x BN pleco
    6-10x Zebra loach or 10-20x Kuhli loach

3. M

Maxi1 Valued Member Member

Try aqadvisor, not perfect but I use it and find it helpful overall. I'm sure others will chime in as well with help.

4. OP
    OP
    b

That looks like a good stock list to me! The dimensions of the tank are 48.5" long, 12.75" deep and 25" high.

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

You can do 6 yoyo's in a 48 inch tank but they can be a little aggressive and very active which I wouldn't mix with a rainbow shark.

6. OP
    OP
    b

Actually would it be possible to put a peacock cichlid instead of the gouramis?

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Peacocks shouldn't be mixed with non-African cichlids.

8. Tmosis

Tmosis Valued Member Member

A kribensis in place of one of the gourami would help with bottom mid level fish and prevent trouble if the gouramis fought. I have two in a 50 gallon and they bicker a lot. Not serious fighting but they can be pretty territorial when put together.

Two blue gourami in the tank I have, not two kribs.

The gourami would love some floating plants like frogbit for instance.