60 Gallon Heater Recommendations

platy21

Hey everyone.

I'm currently in the process of setting up a 60 Gallon SA cichlid tank and am looking for recommendations on heaters. I have an All Glass Aquarium 200W heater in there for safety now, but it's unneeded at the moment. The tank is upstairs in the bedroom and we've been having a hot streak here, so the water has been a steady 78-80 without the heater kicking on.

I want to be prepared though for when I do need it and am looking for recommendations. Like I said the tank is upstairs and it's always pretty warm up there, but I would like a heater than can maintain a steady temp once the weather cools off. I don't particularly like the one I currently have as there is no temperature adjustment indication, only higher or lower.

So, any recommendations?

mbkemp

I run a hydor inline. Love not having it in the tank

platy21

Like the idea of it being out of the way, but I'm reading people having problems with hooking it up to an FX6.

TwoHedWlf

Standard suggestion would be a 300w jager.

Don't worry about a temp guage on the heater. even on the best they're a houideline at best. you should be adjuatin using a thermometer.

Edit: omg. I need to check my post before submitting when using my phone. They're rubbish for internetting.

fissh

In a SA tank 60 gallon I'd get a 250 to 300 watt heater, That way you would have overkill incase it gets real cold or you house heater goes out. My first chose would be a Fluval 300 watt. Next is a Cobalt neo therm, both are great heaters and tough enough to take the beating a SA cichlid can put it thru.

jmaldo

I use Aqueon in my tanks. 250w in my 55. Agree with TwoHedWlf about the gauges, I use digital thermometers in my tanks to set the heaters. And they have lifetime warranties.

platy21

Ordered the Fluval 300w from Amazon last night. Like that it looks pretty durable, the temperature display, and ability to set temp down to .5 degrees. Plus I like Fluval products. Thanks for the recommendations.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CraniumRex
  • Question
  • JollyOtter
  • Heater
Replies
Views
LeviS
Replies
Views