60 gallon angelfish community tank stocking ideas?

brimynyx

Hello,
I have a 60 gallon tall tank. It's been set up for roughly 5 months now, it's completely cycled (I have a canister filter). Currently, I have 8 platies (7 adults and 1 baby) and 6 harlequin rasboras in it. I'm hoping to get another 6 harlequins, so I have a school of 12 in total. There is a mixture of fake and real plants in the tank. I've been thinking about getting angelfish for the aquarium. I've read that there is aggression as they get older. I don't want to get a lot of juveniles and then have to rehome them when they get territorial. Anyone have any idea how many angelfish my tank could support? I'm thinking about getting 3 or 4 juveniles and letting them grow out.

Dennis57

I would say maybe 2 Angels

brimynyx

With two angelfish, if they don't pair up, I've heard that the bullying will be worse, since the dominants will only have one other target.

ChrisX

No. If you have three and two pair up, they will both target the other.

If you get two and they pair up, they will only get aggressive during spawning. If they are the same sex, there will be enough space in the tank for both.

fjh

Speaking from experience, I would recommend 1 angel. You could have 6-7 if you had a larger tank (like 120g). But heres the problem with 2 angels in a 60g:
- if you get 2 males, they will constantly fight and one will potentially have to be removed
- if you get 1m 1f, then they will probably pair up and when they breed, will literally terrorize the rest of your tank (and possibly kill any fish that come too close to the eggs)
- if you get 2 females, they can still pair up and lay [infertile] eggs and you will have the same problem as above.

brimynyx

Thank you. I like the idea of a pair, but would that be the maximum number of angels? I really like how 4 angels look in a tank vs a pair, so would 2 pairs of angels work or 1 pair and 2 non paired angels. If not, I'll just stick to a pair.

I'm getting a lot of mixed info right now. I've been doing a lot of research on angels and most of the internet says that 5-6 angels are fine in a 55?? But most say that sticking to 3 or 4 is safer, or even a pair. So would spawning pairs kill any of the other fish? Platies and harlequins are a bit too big to be eaten, and they're faster than angels too, so would there be any complications? (other than what fjh said above). I don't mean to be stubborn or anything, I'm just trying to explore my options.

jake37

In my experience there isn't too much bullying with a pair - though it helps if raised together.

As to the aggression towards other fishes if they are a pair and spawn; it depends on the fish. I've had some angels that were pretty docile even during spawning and others who wanted the entire tank cleared. I do think it helps if you start with two young angles so they grow up with their other tankmates.

brimynyx said:
With two angelfish, if they don't pair up, I've heard that the bullying will be worse, since the dominants will only have one other target.

brimynyx

Okay thank you.
Is there any chance that 4 angels would work in my tank?

Dennis57

I have been keeping Angels for over 40 years and never had a problem with keeping just 2.

Yeah they may fight now and then but everyone does.

I would stick to just 2 in your tank.

AquaticQueen

brimynyx said:
Okay thank you.
Is there any chance that 4 angels would work in my tank?
I would keep at least 5 if you want a group.

Dennis57

AquaticQueen said:
I would keep at least 5 if you want a group.
5 in a 60?

AquaticQueen

Dennis57 said:
5 in a 60?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard from members on here and research that 5-6 would work in a 60. I assumed that the OP's tank was a four foot.

brimynyx

My tank is 4 ft by 2 by 1. I've heard that 5-6 would work in a 60, but since I have community fish, I assumed that it would mean less angelfish since there are more fish.
I'm probably going to stick to just two. Just to double check, it doesn't matter whether they are bonded or not? (say I could have 2 males or 2 females, I know angels are hard to sex so getting a male or a female would be difficult since I'm only getting two)

brimynyx

I have a 60 gallon tall. It only has 6 harlequins and 7 platies in it as of right now. I'm looking for some stocking options. I don't want any fish that are super finicky (discus) or any super rare fish I can't find at a typical lfs. I'm hoping for the angelfish to be the centerpiece fish and the other fish to compliment it.
Idea #1:
2 (possibly 3) angelfish
7 platies
6 (maybe 8) harlequins
3 (maybe 5) honey gouramis

Just to clarify honey gouramis ARE NOT dwarf gouramis. These two fish are completely different.

Idea #2:
2 angelfish
7 platies
6-10 harlequins
6-8 of another schooling peaceful fish

Anyone else have any ideas?

LotusWhispers

The MOMENT I get a tank that big I’m pumped to load it with Pictus Catfish!!

They may fulfill your 6-8 schooling line item : )

BigBeardDaHuZi

I have been very intrigued by Rainbows lately. Maybe a small school of 6 to go with the angels?

brimynyx

I've looked into rainbowfish, I think they do look nice, but they're a little out of budget. (100 dollars for a school)
I'm also a bigger fan of smaller fish (big enough so angels can't eat them) I personally think they look better in a community tank. Thanks for the ideas though.

I did some basic research on Pictus catfish, and for a shoal most recommend 150 gallons.

LotusWhispers

brimynyx said:
I've looked into rainbowfish, I think they do look nice, but they're a little out of budget. (100 dollars for a school)
I'm also a bigger fan of smaller fish (big enough so angels can't eat them) I personally think they look better in a community tank. Thanks for the ideas though.

I did some basic research on Pictus catfish, and for a shoal most recommend 150 gallons.
yeh for real, 10 a piece will add up fast.
Good to hear on even bigger. I’m still at a 20 and won’t go bigger for some time as I move a lot haha. So haven’t done much reading other than enough to know not yet.

will daydream further about them : ). Soon pictus, soon.

Oh, still figuring out how these threads work sry lol. You were talkin rainbow, not pictus.

Sanderguy777

brimynyx said:

Look at Aqua Huna. They have several schools of rainbowfish for well under $100 per 6. I can't say of the one you like are in stock, but there were several types I liked!

LotusWhispers said:
yeh for real, 10 a piece will add up fast.
Good to hear on even bigger. I’m still at a 20 and won’t go bigger for some time as I move a lot haha. So haven’t done much reading other than enough to know not yet.

will daydream further about them : ). Soon pictus, soon.

Oh, still figuring out how these threads work sry lol. You were talkin rainbow, not pictus.
What we need is that tank at Aquarium Co-op. 800 gallons of pictus and rainbow glory!

BigBeardDaHuZi

Sanderguy777 said:
What we need is that tank at Aquarium Co-op. 800 gallons of pictus and rainbow glory!
Haha

Mazeus

Hey! What about some corys for the bottom of your tank Sterbai corys are temp compatible with Angels.

Edit- Also, you need to think carefully about how you stock. Getting adult angels and baby tetras will result in angel dinner. Best to get young angels so that they can grow in your tank.

JettsPapa

If you'd like you can click on "Aquarium Details" near my user name to see what I have in my 65 (it includes an angel and several schools of smaller fish). Not everyone likes to stock that heavy, but it might give you some ideas.

brimynyx

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm definitely getting 2 baby angels. I'm looking more for tetras and rasboras over rainbows or other bigger fish (that's just my preference). I've heard mixed reviews about cherry barbs and angelfish together? I'm also really liking the idea of phantom tetras with angelfish, but I heard that angelfish might attack phantoms somtimes.

Hello everyone. I have a 60 gallon tall fish tank (48L by 24h by 12W) that I want to turn into a angelfish community tank. Currently in the tank I have 7 platies and 6 harlequins. I'm looking to get 2 juvenile angelfish and letting them grow out. Does anyone have any ideas for stocking? I'm prefer having smaller schooling fish (like tetras and rasboras) over larger fish like rainbows, rams, etc. Does anyone know if honey gouramis are compatible with angelfish? Anyone have any other ideas?
I DON'T want plecos or cories - I've kept them in the past and I just don't want them in this tank
Ideas:
2 angelfish
7 platies
6-8 harlequins
6-8 tetras or rasboras
3-5 honey gourmais???

AquaticQueen

brimynyx said:
Hello everyone. I have a 60 gallon tall fish tank (48L by 24h by 12W) that I want to turn into a angelfish community tank. Currently in the tank I have 7 platies and 6 harlequins. I'm looking to get 2 juvenile angelfish and letting them grow out. Does anyone have any ideas for stocking? I'm prefer having smaller schooling fish (like tetras and rasboras) over larger fish like rainbows, rams, etc. Does anyone know if honey gouramis are compatible with angelfish? Anyone have any other ideas?
I DON'T want plecos or cories - I've kept them in the past and I just don't want them in this tank
Ideas:
2 angelfish
7 platies
6-8 harlequins
6-8 tetras or rasboras
3-5 honey gourmais???
Looks good but I would up the tetras and rasboras to ten.
I wouldn't do honeys with angels. Honeys are pretty mellow and wouldn't be able to defend themselves.

brimynyx

Oh alright. Yeah, I've also been thinking about getting more tetras and rasboras too. I didn't know that angels would pick on honeys. I've heard that angels during spawning may pick on other fish, but only if they were too close to the eggs. I'll definitely do some more research on the honey angelfish pairing.

Sanderguy777

brimynyx said:
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm definitely getting 2 baby angels. I'm looking more for tetras and rasboras over rainbows or other bigger fish (that's just my preference). I've heard mixed reviews about cherry barbs and angelfish together? I'm also really liking the idea of phantom tetras with angelfish, but I heard that angelfish might attack phantoms somtimes.
There are smaller rainbowfish (like the forktail that only gets 2 or 3"), but it's up to you.
I personally like lemon, red phantom, and Silvertip tetras, but they are kind of the larger end of the tetra line (as compared to neons and cardinals).

brimynyx

Hello,
I'm looking into getting orange von rio tetras? Are they compatible with angelfish? Do they nip? I couldn't find much information on the internet.
Thanks.

MacZ

Technically compatible, in appropriate numbers and without stress they only bicker among each other. Fin nipping in my opinion is a stress reaction.

How big is the tank? Do you have appropriate structures and plants?

brimynyx

I have a 60 gal. I still don't know if I'm going to get them, they're kind of hard to find in my area. But good to know that they should be fine.

MacZ

brimynyx said:
I have a 60 gal. I still don't know if I'm going to get them, they're kind of hard to find in my area. But good to know that they should be fine.
In a 60 you can definitely make sure to have structures in the form of driftwood and twigs and branches and plants that grow high enough to give cover from above and the tetras should be doing great.

I mean, the whole group of tetras would work, orange von rios are just one species (or subspecies) of many with quite similar looks.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom