60 Gal Tall Stocking 60 Gallon Tank

1. maciel Initiate Member

Picked up a kymco scooter today and in the process I noticed a tall hexagonal aquarium. The owner said she was looking to sell it. So lo and 46e01c78396cea79a43e68b2c1205880.jpg behold, I have acquired a 60 gal aquarium, stand, and light system for $150. I had been planning to get a 75 gallon and stock discus but I'm just a little too impulsive.
    I left the tank with them and will pick it up next month. But until then I'd like to get some ideas about stocking. Are discus out of the question? I would certainly like to give them more space.
    I'm thinking a species-only tank, what are the largest species I can keep in a 60 tall?
    I would much prefer brightly colored fish, maybe a few dwarf gouramis?
    I'm not big into African cichlids, but if you've got any ideas for them let me know.
    Pic of the tank below, it was filled with Christmas stuff that we cleared out
    46e01c78396cea79a43e68b2c1205880.jpg

Thanks in advance for all help/suggestions!

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

How long is it?

3. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I love the look of hex tanks, but the downside to them is you have to pretend they are half the size they are because of the reduced swim space. So look at stocking options for a 30 gallon tank, and your fish will be much happier.

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks pretty small. I'd do a nano-type tank with a bunch of plants and shrimp and snails. You could do a large school of CPDs and a small group of sparkling gouramis and scarlet badis and peacock gudgeons.

5. maciel Initiate Member

With the rush I was in, I didn't think to take measurements but I think about 27x24x29 give or take.

That's understandable, what would you suggest? I'd guess gouramis wouldn't be an option then. Maybe I could do something simple, like guppies. That's what the original owner kept in it.
    And I love the style too because of the height, even though it's not the most convenient for fish keeping..

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Sparkling gouramis would definitely be an option, they're very small.....

7. maciel Initiate Member

Those are all great options, and I'm particularly fond of sparkling gouramis and scarlet badis. I think a planted tank would be awesome :)