60-80 Gal Pond Stocking

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by Ashto Brado, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Ashto BradoValued MemberMember

Alright, so in a couple months we will be digging a 9 by 10 foot oval pond in our backyard, what can I stock it with? It will be a max of 2 feet deep and smallest area will be about a foot. I've heard about getting like 3 goldfish, but idk. I'm in Virginia, so can I do any native species, or goldfish? I was looking into American flag fish, Pygmy sunfish, mosquito fish, some snails, and etc.
    thanks in advanced!

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

A native species pond sounds good, can't help you with species as I'm in the UK, I'm sure others who can help will chime in though :)

3. RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

I can't give any advice since I don't have any experience with ponds. Some states are a bit picky on keeping native species. Why don't you contact your DNR and see if they can tell you if you can keep any and maybe give some advice on what will work. Best of luck in your stocking! :)

4. Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

I believe @Flowingfins and @BottomDweller have goldfish ponds (or just some type of pond) so they may give you some good advice :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  5. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

I'm in Florida so I can't really help, I don't have to deal with the pond freezing!
    I do have a pond though, it has guppies, platies, and zebra danios.

6. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Hi, I'm in England so temperature and laws will be different here. I have goldfish and plan to get some western mosquito fish (gambusia affinis)

7. PaulszValued MemberMember

Are you sure it's only 60-80 gallons? at at 9 ft x 10 ft x 1.5 ft (average depth), it should be a lot closer to 600-700 gallons. As for fish, I can't help you much. But if you were to go goldfish, you could do 6-8 goldfish

8. 75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

I would go sunfish because they are really pretty and fun to watch when they eat.

9. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I like the idea of having some type of rice minnow or white clouds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice