6 year old ID shark slowly dying in bottom of tank...help!

1. D

Dana_1123 New Member Member

I have a 6 year old Irredesent shark that is struggling in the bottom of my tank. He’s seems to want to eat but keeps floating upside down. I’m pretty sure he’s dying of old age but he’s been trying to swim around for the last 12+ hours. Is there anything I can do?

2. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

He isn't dying of old age, how big is he? If you want to put him down then use clove oil, it is painless, then mix in some alcohol and it will humanely euthinize it.

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Dana welcome to FishLore!
    I'm really sorry about your shark.
    Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?
    6 years is a pretty good age for a fish. I'm sorry to say, perhaps it's just his time?

4. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Really? I thought I'd sharks lived to be about 10 years+

5. OP
    OP
    D

We've had him for 6 years but got him from someone else beforehand so he could be older. He's is skinny but about 6 inches long.

6. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

6 years isn't bad but then again your tank is a 30 Gallon, this could have something to do with it, does stunted growth effect the swim bladder?

7. OP
    OP
    D

He jusst keeps trying to move around on the bottom and his body is kinda curled up a bit but the poor guy keeps trying! I feel bad for him.

I want to save him if I can but I don't want to just leave him in the tank if he's just going to die a slow death anyway.

8. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

9. OP
    OP
    D

I've had this tank for years and have never had water problems or problems with fish dying.

10. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

so sorry to hear about your id shark :(

it could be a mini cycle that snuck up on you for any number of reasons, a water change is always a good thing to start with when trying to help out a sick fish

11. cronic949153d

cronic949153d New Member Member

:(:(

sorry to say but it sounds like your shark has suffered from cramped quaters for too long
    a stunted sharks growth only effects his outside size :( while his organs keep growing
    u say 6 shark is 6 inchs long and u have had him for that long
    ive had mine grow 6 inchs in under a year
    30 gallon is just not enough
    if u want to save your shark {if not to late} ..... much much bigger tank

12. April

April New Member Member

Sorry to hear about ur fish, did u try feeding him his fave foods? Brine shrimp perk my ID's up when they r feeling under the weather. Also I use melafix and products like that when my sharks are sick. Also does he have a friend in the tank? ID's can get really listless if they dont have a buddy to school with.