6+ Months... Still Grody. Plz Help.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Heypoopy, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Heypoopy

Heypoopy New Member Member

We have owned our tank for about 6 months. Started out planted. Fish ate the plants. Still have plant gravel. Haven’t had plants for 3+ months. Our tank still has debri floating around everywhere. We do weekly water changes (10 gallons, 55 gallon tank) recently tried a purigen water filter “stage” in our eheim filter canister. How can we make our water clear. CLEAR! Is our gravel (plant gravel) the culprit? Do we need a better filter? (Eheim classic 250 w/ eheim surface slimmer intake) I guess I will go from here. Any and all help will be appreciated. We just want clear water.

Attached Files:

2. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

Purigen should do the trick.
    Give it a few weeks to do the work tho.

Also flow travels the path of least resistance.
    So make sure the water has to go through the Purigen.

3. OP
    OP
    Heypoopy

Heypoopy New Member Member

That is what I read. That is what I tried to do. We have used purigen for about 2 weeks now. Have not checked out whether or not the flow has been directly drawn through the purigen, as it is the last “layer” “stage” of our canister filter.

4. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

Also do gravel vacs with your water changes if you are not.
    Keep your canister filter cleaned up from loose debris aswell.

Purigen has done the trick for my tank.
    Unless the water you put in is dirty; it should clear up with some time.

5. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Pick up an inexpensive hang on back filter, remove all the media in it and fill it with poly-fil (aka filter floss or poly pillow stuffing from Walmart) change it out when it's icky. It's great at removing fine particulates from the water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice