6 Month Kuhli Loach Died Question

1. AquaticHobbist20 Initiate Member

Hello all! Yesterday, the kuhli loach that I've had for 6 months died. I found him to be swimming quite weirdly, not much like he normally does. He would swim all the way to the top of the tank and then let himself fall until he was on the bottom of the tank. Wherever he landed, usually on his back or side, is where he would stay for about 30 seconds and then the cycle would start again. I immediatly thought something was wrong and tried looking up any kind of info, but I was unsuccessful. After about 10 minutes of observation, he finally rested at the bottom of the tank. After 5 minutes, he hadn't moved, so I reached in to nudge him and he wasn't moving. I'm searching for answers as to why this may have happened. He has been living in a 10 gal tank with a pleco and a goldfish for the 6 months I have had him. I recently got a new rhino pleco for the tank and that has been the only change. I checked my water levels and they all appeared to be within normal levels. Below, I have shared a video of my loach swimming right before he died. Hopefully someone will be able to help me figure out what went wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Video:

2. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.

What were your actual parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and temp?

Kuhlis are not compatible with glofish, and a 10 gallon is not big enough for goldfish or any pleco. They are both very messy species and not only will outgrow the tank quickly, but the bioload would be massive, causing poor water quality quickly. Daily water changes would be a must to keep parameters good, but the goldfish and pleco would eventually be stunted and ill. What kind of goldfish? Comets, or single tail goldfish can grow to 16" or more and really only belong in ponds. For fancy goldfish you really have a minimum of 30 gallons for the first, with at least 10 more gallons for each additional one. The smallest plecos need at least 30 gallons.
    Again, I'm sorry you lost the kuhli, as that must have been very hard to watch. I honestly couldn't watch much of the video myself.

3. AquaticHobbist20 Initiate Member

Thanks for your response. I did not test the water personally, I took a sample to my preferred pet store where they test water for free. I was told all of th levels were good and was not given specifics. My goldfish is a comet and is only about 2 inches right now. I've actually been considering taking him to the same pet store to donate him as he is not allowing me to have the busy tank that I would like to have. Do the goldfish bully the kuhlis or is is something else that makes them incompatible?

4. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Goldfish really need a species only tank, and have very different requirements from most fish. They are also very messy. They have no stomach so everything just goes right through them, meaning they have to eat more and create lots of waste. They also grow so large that it's about 100 gallon minimum for a single comet. They really shouldn't be sold at pet stores. . I would suggest returning him unless you want headaches. They also prefer much cooler water than kuhlis.
    Kuhlis are very shy schooling fish and prefer to be in large groups. They also like to bury themselves, so the best substrate for them is sand.
    I doubt the goldfish bullied him, it was probably a water quality issue. How long have you had the pleco? He may have introduced something to the tank. I am not familiar with rhino plecos specifically, so I don't know their nature size or needs. But I can look it up.

5. AquaticHobbist20 Initiate Member

I did forget to mention in my last post that I keep my tank between 75 and 80 degrees. I've had the rhino pleco about a week now, and everyone seemed to be doing good until yesterday. Thanks so much for your concern and help!

6. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

According to planet catfish your pleco should reach a size of about 10-11", and will require a minimum of 55 gallons, probably more. Temp range is 75-82F.

75 is too warm for the Goldie, and it would be much better to keep the temp more stable.
    I'm so sorry for the bad news, but I was once in your shoes and know exactly where you're at.

I would suggest either rehoming the goldfish and the pleco and stock the 10 gallon appropriately (we can help you with that) or upgrading your tank to keep one of your fish (they are not compatible with each other due to temperature requirements) and we can help you stock that tank. I know a large tank sound daunting, but is actually much easier to care for than a small tank. I use my 10 gallon as a qt, although right now it's serving as a baby mystery snail nursery. I now have a 40 gallon and a 38 gallon, which is going to be upgraded to a 72 in the near future.

7. AquaticHobbist20 Initiate Member

I will most likely be doing some rearranging with my tank in the near future. I would absolutely love to upgrade to a larger tank, but honestly, I am not financially able to afford that just yet. I actually came across my 10 gal. at a thrift shop for 5 dollars, what a deal everything was included and in excellent condition. Prior to this, I had a 2.5 gal tank with a betta in it. Thank for your help, you've helped to educate me further in my hobby, and I think I'll be sticking around this site for awhile to learn even more.

8. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

This forum and the knowledge in it are invaluable . I'm still a bit of a newbie, little over 6 months in. But everyone in this forum is very helpful and it's a great place to learn a lot! Stick around!