6 gallon NanoCube or 8 gallon Nanocube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

12oz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Which would be better for fresh water 6g JBJ Nanocube or the 8 gallon Oceanic Biocube?

My friend has an oceanic 29 gallon for his saltwater fish. I love the look of it and stuff. I am kinda new to fish keeping but remember my basics. Which one is more of a quality fish tank. And I was looking at skimmers and mini uv steralizer what are they and do i need them?

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello 12oz and Welcome to Fish Lore!

When it comes to aquariums I think larger is better (when it comes to housing most fish). I'm not familiar with the tank types that you have listed so I can't say for certain that one is better than the other.

If you're planning on setting up the tank for fresh water fish then the skimmers and uv sterilizer isn't necessary.

I see that you are aware of the nitrogen cycle so that is good.

A test kit is necessary. The API (liquid) Master Test Kit is most widely recommended on this site. It will test for everything mentioned in then nitrogen cycle. Please avoid paper test strips as they can be inaccurate and difficult to read.

Best of luck and please keep us posted. I'm sure you'll get more responses before too long.

Ken

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
w/ a 6 gallon and 8 gallon you are really limiting yourself as to what you can put in there, most beginner tropical fish would like a 10 gallon at least. Is that possible? Also the bigger the tank the fewer water problems you will have, a small tank requires more upkeep to keep the water parameters good (I know this one from experience lol).

Craig-D

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have the Oceanic BioCube 29 gallon tank that I am using for freshwater. I'm really happy with it. There is no visible filter equipment, so you see no intake tubes, heaters, or other machinery, as that all has its own hidden compartment. The stock pump has a flow rate of about 230 gph. It also has blue LED lighting to simulate moonlight at night - a cool, if unecessary effect. Aquarist is correct that a UV sterilizer is not necessary, but I do have the one Oceanic makes specifically for the BioCube (it will not fit in the 8 gallon version). It is plumbed into the filter system and is also site unseen. It eliminated my green water problem and will take care of free-floating organisms like bacteria, fungus, and parasites as well.

It's not cheap, but I would go with the BioCube 29 if you want a system of this type. If that's too pricey, I'd go with the 14. If you get the 8, you will want to upgrade it because it can't hold many fish. The 6 gallon JBJ is really too small to do much with - especially considering what they charge for it. These cube systems are a lot of money, but you do get style and quality features for the price - curved glass exterior, LED lighting, and filtration/water circulation that puts most HOB type filters to shame.

1*Risk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have the 8 gal Bio Cube I couldn't pass up the great deal @ the store for $99.00 they where out of the 29 gal Biocubes for $189 these prices I think are awesome considering that they are alot more everywhere else. Had it for a week I kinda rushed it with getting the fish and all but did the quick start up and everything seems good so far I wish I found this forum b4 starting tank set up......Great info + people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom