6 Foot 120 Gallon, Or 4 Foot 150 Gallon

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 90 gallon that is 48x18x24
I don't need a larger tank at this time, but i really want to be able to keep some larger fish (never really had a medium to large size predator tank)

I have the opportunity to be getting either a 72x18x24 tank, or a 48x24x36 tank. I'm just not sure which size i should go for. They are both very close to the same price range and are the same distance from me.

If I was to decide strictly off of tank capacity I would clearly pick tank that is only 4 feet long. The issue I am having though is that the shorter but wider tank can accommodate longer fish, where as the longer but more narrow tank can accommodate those fast swimming fish that really need the length (silver dollars, etc.) as I would still like them in a pred tank as target fish and to add some movement.

I remember when upgrading from a 55 to a 90 the added width was so welcomed. But is another 6 inches deep and 1 foot higher better than 2 feet longer?

Does anyone have experience trying to keep pred tanks that are longer/narrower as well as shorter but deeper (and taller). What where your experiences and advice?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't have experience but I think the longer is better, fish that would need the added depth would likely need a longer tank than 4ft anyway.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Go for the 6 foot tank all the way !

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you go with the 150 gal. four foot tank, construct & position a tall hardscape in the middle of the tank. This will allow the fish to swim in a continuous circle around the structure.
You might compromise and buy a five foot, 120 long. Its got a deeper & more boxy footprint.

GumYu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you're correct that a longer tank is generally better, but being narrow will make it hard for long fish to turn around.

what fish are you planning to stock in it?

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just did a quick measurement for tank capacity. Turns out the 6 foot tank is roughly 146 gallons (decorations, sand, etc will take some of that) and the 4 foot tank is 179 gallons (again without decorations, etc.)

Honestly now that I really think about it, I don't know what i would want to put into it, lol.

I have a 12" tire track right now that would be going into the tank eventually (likely will keep it in the 90 gallon until it gets a bit larger), as well as a 4 inch albino oscar. I think i will make the 90 gallon the oscars permanent home, unless he actually reaches his full potential size. I've also got 2 medium sized red tailed botia, and 2 similarly sized yoyo loaches ( around 3-4 inches, one yoyo is I'm guessing 5-6)

I like the idea of doing a south east Asia themed stocking (contrary to my original post). Something like the tire track eel, some more species of loaches (or at least increased numbers of the same), and giant danios. Decorating the tank with lots of medium to large river stones and 1 or 2 large peices of driftwood, tall plants placed sparingly throughout.
I think a 6 foot tank would look really nice like that. What would be some other ideas for stocking this setup? (I'll post a stocking specific thread under the right placement later)

I also like the idea of a predatory tank as well, the problem I am having though is I find that most predator fish species I've seen are just kind of boring aside from the predator aspect. I want to see some good movement in the tank aside from just during feeding. I don't particularly want anymore large cichlid species (at this point the oscar is enough for me)
I really like the way arowana are constantly patrolling the top of the tank, ready to attack anything that hits the water to give you an idea of what i would kind of like to see. Of course I know no species of arowana would be able to stay in the tank for life though.

Long winded I know. Hopefully I was able to express my thoughts in some coherent words.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How about a shoal of 5 or 6 snakeskin Gourami, they seem very social and grow anywhere from 6 to I've heard 12 inches.
Bichir are good to keep, i've heard of people keeping them with Tire Track Eels.

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely go for the 6ft over the 4ft tank.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
6ft

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for all the input everyone. With all the information given and suggestions, my wife and I talked it over. I really liked the length of the 6, foot one, but also really liked the total gallons of the 4 foot one. So we decided to compromise........ and get both!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom