6 dead fish out of nowhere

• Thread starter Jamesyb1989
  • Start date

Jamesyb1989

Hey,

So i just had a bit of a disaster. Fed my fish as normal, came back 30 minutes later and 6 out of 10 were dead. They are all Kribensis. Tested water, all was normal. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. I cant understand it. Anyone have any idea what could of happened.

Seansrl

Any sign of illness on any of the dead fish or alive ones? any sudden change in temperature? what were the water parameters exactly?

Jamesyb1989

Nope all seemed perfectly fine. I fed them some freeze dried daphnia and when i came back 6 were dead. no ammonia or nitrite in the tank. PH 7. The 4 remaining fish now seem quite sluggish, so my guess is they havent much time left either. Worst thing is, im not at work so cant do anything about it. Could it be a bad batch of food? its a new guy i ordered off and theyve never been fed daphnia before. Im just baffled. It was a breeding pair i had for so long and the 8 kribs were all their spawn so its a bummer to lose most of them

Lakefish

Possibly something in the food killed them. Accidents can happen in the factory. Maybe a foreign object or chemical got in the mix.
You aren't doing any house renos or anything are you?

Jamesyb1989

Lakefish said:
Possibly something in the food killed them. Accidents can happen in the factory. Maybe a foreign object or chemical got in the mix.
You aren't doing any house renos or anything are you?
No but my next door neighbours are and my window is always open. The window is literally 5 yrds from their house

Lakefish

Best either close that window then and/or throw a sheet over the tank until renos are done. The dust from that can have heavy metals, chemicals etc in it that accumulate in your tank. Who knows if this is what happened to you but better safe than sorry!

Jamesyb1989

I expect by the time im home tomorrow morning, the remaining 4 will be dead anyways. Hopefully not but they just didnt seem right when i was leaving. Anyways, thanks for the help and advice.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Oh my goodness. This has to be so heartbreaking. :( I have to think something was wrong with the food. Maybe it had been left out too long, thawed out and then refrozen before you got it. Sadly you couldn't have known that before feeding it to your little guys and girls.

Jamesyb1989

mattgirl said:
Oh my goodness. This has to be so heartbreaking. :( I have to think something was wrong with the food. Maybe it had been left out too long, thawed out and then refrozen before you got it. Sadly you couldn't have known that before feeding it to your little guys and girls.
its sad alright, i have a few different tanks, but this one was my favourite because it was my first time to breed fish. Any suggestions on what to do if the water was contaminated and they all die? Do i just need to do a 100% water change before i stock the tank again, or would i need to do a full cycle and replace everything?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Jamesyb1989 said:
its sad alright, i have a few different tanks, but this one was my favourite because it was my first time to breed fish. Any suggestions on what to do if the water was contaminated and they all die? Do i just need to do a 100% water change before i stock the tank again, or would i need to do a full cycle and replace everything?
I can't imagine the tank being contaminated so a big water change should be all you need to do. If it was just spoiled food it shouldn't have affected the water quality. It sounds like it was a case of fast acting food poisoning. :(

Jamesyb1989

mattgirl said:
I can't imagine the tank being contaminated so a big water change should be all you need to do. If it was just spoiled food it shouldn't have affected the water quality. It sounds like it was a case of fast acting food poisoning. :(
the only thing is, i used the food for 2 days before today and they were fine. Not ruling it out obviously its just strange

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Jamesyb1989 said:
the only thing is, i used the food for 2 days before today and they were fine. Not ruling it out obviously its just strange
That is strange. I thought this was the first feeding from this supply. If not a problem with the food then I can't think of anything else that could have cause such sudden deaths so soon after feeding them. Possibly just a coincidence and maybe the other suggestion that something from the neighbors renovations came through the open window.

Did you feed any of this food to any of your other tanks?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Jamesyb1989 said:
I always am worried I will transfer something on my hands as I do everything from work on a car, cook, garden, clean ect.

Then also worried that I dont wash soap off hands.

Could your fingers have been contaminated?

Jamesyb1989

SanDiegoRedneck said:
I always am worried I will transfer something on my hands as I do everything from work on a car, cook, garden, clean ect.

Then also worried that I dont wash soap off hands.

Could your fingers have been contaminated?
I never touch the food. I cut a small hole in the top of a tub and pour it in

mattgirl said:
That is strange. I thought this was the first feeding from this supply. If not a problem with the food then I can't think of anything else that could have cause such sudden deaths so soon after feeding them. Possibly just a coincidence and maybe the other suggestion that something from the neighbors renovations came through the open window.

Did you feed any of this food to any of your other tanks?
No i didnt feed to the other tanks. and i wont now just incase.

This is the food i got. Just incase anyone knows of the crowd selling it or to avoid this happening to anyone else. Of course i cant be sure its the food, but i would avoid just incase PROREZULT Tropical Fish Food 4 Packs, Flake, Pellets/Granules, Algae Wafers/Tablets with Spirulina, Dried Daphnia: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Jamesyb1989

Quick update, so 2 more died by the time i got home from work, 3 lived and i have them moved to a quarantine tank now. They seem much happier and lively as soon as i moved them. Still no idea what caused it but i just wanna thank you all for your help.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Jamesyb1989 said:
Quick update, so 2 more died by the time i got home from work, 3 lived and i have them moved to a quarantine tank now. They seem much happier and lively as soon as i moved them. Still no idea what caused it but i just wanna thank you all for your help.
Hope the last 3 make it. Something just went funky fast with that tank.

Top Bottom