Help 6 dead fish in 3 weeks?

emmett1180

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all

I have a 180l juwel vision tank which is cycled for the last 18 months.

Its a community tank with neons, corys, glowlight tetras and guppys.

Over the last 3 weeks i have lost

pearl gourami (Died today)
zebra danio (died yesterday)
Got 3 guppies last week, 1 still living.
Blue ram (died yesterday)
blue neon

Stats:
Ammonia - between 0 to 0.25, Closer to 0
Nitrite - 0.25 normally 0
PH 7.5
Dont have a Nitrate test kit.

What is going on? there is no signs of illness just fine one minute dead the next.

I used to do 30% water change weekly from the start, but the last 3 months i have been doing 30% fortnightly. As the stats were the same as weekly.

Please help i dont want to loose anymore fish.

Thanks

plecodragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, I would go back to weekly water changes. Also maybe check your gravel, or filter for a dead fish, or leftover food, as something is affecting your ammonia and nitrites.
Did you quarantine your new guppies? If not they could have possibly have brought something with them.
Hope you don't lose anymore fish.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My feeling is that ammonia and nitrite poisioning is killing the fish. The tricky part is figuring out why your tank that was seemingly stable for 18 months has gone into a mini-cycle.

What test do you use? Strips are inaccurate, so there's really no way to know what your levels are. A liquid kit is much more reliable and the API Master Kit is the one recommended around here. If you can't find it in a LFS, try amazon.co.uk.

When did you switch to fortnightly water changes?

Have you recently rinsed or replaced filter media? Decorations? Substrate?

Other than adding the guppies, have you added anything new recently?

Sorry for all the questions, but it helps to narrow things down.

-Lisa

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should really be testing your nitrates. Nitrates are really your guide on water changes (how often and what percent). You really want to keep your nitrates under 20ppm for the health of the fish.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you do a water change, do you get really get into the gravel well? If not, decomposing food and fish waste will raise your ammonia level.

How often and what do you feed your fish? Is overfeeding a possibility, do you think?

emmett1180

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fish dying fast, no signs of illness

Hi all thanks for all the great replys,

I didnt quarantine the guppies, i know i should have but didnt.

I think it was about a month before i noticed the fish dying when i started doing fortnightly water changes. But the stats were no different after 2 weeks compared to 1 week.

I checked filters and did a very very thorough gravel clean and 40% water change today.

There was a dead danio in the middle of a fake plant 2 days ago i found who was very mouldy eg white rot slime on him.

I use the Api liquid test kit.

Didnt add or change anything other than the 3 guppies, 2 of which were dead within 3 days.

Hope this info helps

Thanks again

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It sounds like a mini spike. I've done that by forgetting to add the water conditioner during a water change but any number of things could have caused it. The solution for a mini cycle would be to increase water changes to keep the ammonia down. You're already doing that. I would get a nitrate test. You said you decreased you water changes because your readings were staying the same but it's really nitrate that would tell you whether you could cut back on water changes. In a cycled tank, the ammonia is always zero and the nitrates increase as you approach water change time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom