6 Day Road trip With Betta

rchalat

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I go to school in New York and will be driving back home (Colorado) in a week. I have an adorable betta RoJo who I want to bring home with me. I will be on the road for 6 days visiting family. Whats the best way to transport RoJo? I was thinking of buying a decent size tuberware container poking holes in the lid and using that as a make-shift tank for the trip. Should I add some of the gravel I have, also theres a small live plant that Rojo really likes should I include that in my container? I'll be stayig in a hotel at night so I'll bring the container in with me. And I know that I need to secure the container in the car while driving and watch the temperature. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I keep coolers in my car......whenever I transport anything they go in the coolers to be protected from temperature extremes......Im sure that someone with much better experiance than me will come along soon......I do know that I would probably use a small container(so he isnt splashing all around, I'd put that cntainer in the cooler,beings that u r going to be stopping at night if u bring provisions with u u could maybe put him in something bigger to spend the night in.......I dont know if this is any help....but Im sure someone will come along with a better idea...good luck!!!!!

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kordon breathing bags look like a good option. I don't know about for a labarynth breathers though. I know you don't have to put in any airspace as the bag allows oxygen and carbondioxide to be exchanged from the surrounding air.:

Annadvn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kordon breathing bags look like a good option. I don't know about for a labarynth breathers though. I know you don't have to put in any airspace as the bag allows oxygen and carbondioxide to be exchanged from the surrounding air.:
Kordon breather bags shouldn't be used for bettas, for them to work you cannot have any air in the bag. Bettas need air in the bag to breathe.

Are you going on a 6 day round trip or going back to Colorado for the summer?

If you are going back for the summer i would recommend getting some bags and putting him into a bag during the day in a cooler and at night setting up a small tank/rubbermaid container for him.

You would also need to bring his main tank and make sure you keep the gravel, filter material and the decorations wet other wise you will loose the cycle when you take the tank down. The over night container does not need to be cycled as he will only be in it for 12 hours and should have fresh water with prime and/or stress coat. I would also feed him less during the trip, this will help keep the water he is in cleaner.

(Don't put him in anything glass while he is travelling the sloshing of the water could be enough to break the glass)

Good luck

Anna

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom