6 corries good or bad?

Wolfgang8810

Well Known
I jsut set up my 50 gallon tnak its a taller one and I have used prime and rinsed my gravel I know it is said that cycling fishless is the way to go but I don't think its practical to spend 400 bucks to wait 6 weeks. so I was thinking id get a few corries to chill around the bottom and get teh cycle going with the ammonia they would be the only ones in there until the cycle completes. is this really bad are they hardy enough?

Advertisement
I don't think ur gunna get much support on this one, maybe like 2 or 3 corries at the most

Advertisement
ok sounds good I diddny mean to sound impatient or uncaring in my fist post I'm jsut really excited lol I am really obsessive about my water changes and water chemastries. I LOVE FISH! hahah

Advertisement
Hmm yea, I dunno about using them to cycle. They aren't always the most hardy of fish. Although it does depend on what kind we're talking about

I would go for 2 or 3 cories MAX added at 1 time. They will be fine only having that number while you cycle. I had 2 cories in my 20 gallon for 6 months or so and they are very happy (have since added more). I would suggest a product like Prime to detoxify the ammonia. Have you considered Biospira? I've heard lots of people have used it and it pretty much cycles the tank overnight. If you chose to cycle a tank with fish it will take longer to cycle.
But I understand your impatience!! LoL i'm the same way. The only way I was able to successfully cycle my 55 gallon tank without adding fish is that I was gone for 3 weeks of it (went on vacation, so I got an automatic feeder that added food every 12 hours). The tank was completely cycled in 4 weeks.
Good luck!

I like cycling fishless when possible since even when they survive cycling, the lifespan of the fish tend to be shortened by the experience.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CanadianJoeh
Replies
Views
abarb
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views