6 bulbs or 4? 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Lighting' started by sk1mman, Apr 11, 2010.

1. sk1mmanNew MemberMember

I have had my tank set up for about 2 months so far, and right now I have 2 peppermint shrimp, 7 hermit crabs, 2 ocellaris clown fish, and 2 banggai/kaudenrs cardinals.

I want to start getting some smaller little corals, but I am fully aware my lighting is horrible. Right now I have one 24inch bulb that goes on top of the hood of the tank. I'm trying to find some sort of lighting system that would have the top of the tank completely covered, but it isn't necessary. This would just be a "safety precaution". The main problem I am having is deciding between getting 4 t5 bulbs or 6. I feel like the 6 would be better in the long run, but someone once told me the 6 would cause over heating? I just wanted to double check, as I thought t5 don't put out that much heat. And if they did I was looking at something like this...   where it would be raised enough where I don't think heat would be a problem.

Anything I didn't mention that would be needed? Any suggestions? Any other links where I can get a similar product for cheaper? Thanks!

2. ATPWell Known MemberMember

Just go with the six. It shouldn't even be a problem. I have 2x400w halides (and will add 4x110w VHO) about barely a feet above my tank and my temperature is fine (120). I even got a sunburn on my arm - LOL.

T-5 and other florecent barely gives off any heat IME. I only feel it when I touch it :).

3. zeeterWell Known MemberMember

The salesperson where I got my lights talked me into getting a 6 bulb T5's rather than the four. It was around $100 more expensive, but in retrospect it was well worth the money. My corals are doing great and the lighting is spectacular. It really makes a difference.

4. sk1mmanNew MemberMember

Ok thanks a lot guys! I will definitely get the 6 bulbs. I look forward to it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice