5gallon Sponge Filter On 200gallon? (not Mine)

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So on kijji i found this Florida Gar for sale in a 200gallon tank with what looks to be a 5gallon sponge filter! Is this even possible to do?! How is it alive with such a small filter?
upload_2018-4-26_9-31-9.png

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FriarThomasIII said:
Gar can breath surface air like bettas and gourami, and was it by itself? as long as there is enough bb on the surrounding environment, it's okay. But if it's bare bottom, then it might not be able to live there long term.
They said it was moved from being too "aggressive" . Our area is small so i dont know what type of home he is going to find... Not all of us have a huge pond or 500gallon tank.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CanadianFishFan said:
So on kijji i found this Florida Gar for sale in a 200gallon tank with what looks to be a 5gallon sponge filter! Is this even possible to do?! How is it alive with such a small filter?
View attachment 432833
Hello Fan...

This is absolutely possible. The sponge filter isn't really acting as a filter, it's mixing oxygen into the tank water. The tank keeper is obviously removing and replacing most of the tank water every few days to maintain good water conditions for the fish. So, a filter isn't really needed. If you change out a lot of tank water every few days, you don't need a filter at all, just some gizmo like an air stone attached to an air pump to move the surface of the water to mix oxygen into the water. This action is called "gas exchange". Oxygen mixes with water to release carbon dioxide.

Old

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
oldsalt777 said:
Hello Fan...

This is absolutely possible. The sponge filter isn't really acting as a filter, it's mixing oxygen into the tank water. The tank keeper is obviously removing and replacing most of the tank water every few days to maintain good water conditions for the fish. So, a filter isn't really needed. If you change out a lot of tank water every few days, you don't need a filter at all, just some gizmo like an air stone attached to an air pump to move the surface of the water to mix oxygen into the water. This action is called "gas exchange". Oxygen mixes with water to release carbon dioxide.

Old
of course how could i forget that! thxs

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom