5gallon Shrimp?

1. Courtney carlisle Member Member

Hey guys is a five gallon big enough to have a shrimp tank bc i have one thats just sitting at my house with nothing in it. And if it is what kind of shrimp and how many would you all suggest? Thanks :)

2. lmo Member Member

Yes - I have a 7 gallon shrimp tank (was originally going to have a 5 gallon but managed to get a slightly bigger tank). I have cherry and bee shrimps in that but you could also have ghost shrimp. It would be too small for a bamboo shrimp and not sure if amano would do better in something a bit bigger.

3. Culprit Well Known Member Member

Totally! Shrimp would thrive in a 5 gallon tank just for them! IF you're just started with shrimp I would suggest neocaridinia. They have all different colors from bright bright red to yellow to blue. Stay out of the caridinia and japonica... those are advanced shrimp and tend to be hard to keep.

Use a sponge filter, plant it very heavily with lots of floating plants, and go ahead and set it up for a good month or two before you get the shrimp. That way the tank matures, biofilm grows for the shrimp, and there will be no ammonia/nitrite spikes to kill them.

4. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I’ve had ammanos in a 6 with celestial pearl danios(now in 10 after about a year) and absolutely love the combination. Ammanos are by far my favourite shrimp(bamboos may be close or tied though) and are beautiful as well as fun to watch. Would recommend some of those, you could also combine the stock with them with the neocardinia.

5. Culprit Well Known Member Member

The problem with amano shimp is A) they get pretty big and eat lots of algea so I would only suggest about 2 or 3 and B) They don't reproduce in freshwater. Red cherry shrimp (or any neocaridinia shrimp) are very easy to take care of and breed like rabbits so they start a colony. Plus neocaridinia shrimp are very bright and colorful. You could still have amano shrimp but only a few and still have a colony of neocaridinia.

6. Galathiel Member Member

I would only get one color of neocaridina shrimp. They can cross breed with the other colors of neocaridina and can lose their pretty coloring.

7. Courtney carlisle Member Member

Cherry and amano shrimp sound great! Thanks. I have a 75 gallon up and running i could tranfer the amano shrimp too if they get to big! The 5 gallon is already cycled so that helps! How many cherry(or whatever color i pick) should i get?

8. Jitters Member Member

The magic number most people say is 10. Then you can watch it grow. It's what I usually do. I have 3 5-5.5 gallons tanks. (two have fish in them right now, but I did have one a cherry shrimp tank. Now I have another one as a Carbon Rili tank, and have fish in the old cherry tank).

9. fish time Well Known Member Member

Yes I can work I used to
    have a amano shrimp in a 5 gallon d3b14fc124279db11fdc4c02bc609845.jpg
    I miss the little guy