5gal Fluval Spec Stocking

1. Phil1078

Phil1078 Valued Member Member

Hello, I plan on purchasing this tank (http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-V-Aquarium-Kit/dp/B0089E5VLC) soon. My last tank went down in flames from a Mycobacterium infection that kept recurring even after being fallow and near perfect water quality.

I am quite busy with vet school, so I am a little apprehensive about starting this small tank, as I want it to have really good water quality, so if anyone has an opinion regarding my set-up and how much time it will take to maintain, please chime in.

I really want to do a planted tank. I do not want to do CO2, but I may add another LED strip or two for more light. I am thinking going a month or so with just red cherry shrimp to get them breeding up nicely. It will also give me time to see if I want to add fish or not based on my time availability. The plants will also have time to grow.

As far as fish, I love gouramis. I have had sparklers, and I really enjoyed them. I was thinking either a pair of sparkling gouramis or honey gouramis, the latter I have never had before. I would love some opinions on the personality of honey gouramis, and the opinion of people who have had both would be most appreciated.

I am not sure if I should have anything else in the tank. Any other suggestions?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. Cheers.

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I believe honeys really should have a 10g tank. Sparklings might fit OK.

A larger tank would actually be the best way to go if you haven't much time. The parameters stay much more solid.

3. OP
    OP
    Phil1078

What about honey gouramis makes them need a bigger tank relative to sparklers? They are pretty comparable in size.

4. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

6. amber0107

Scarlet Badis would work well but definitely have live food ready. I recently lost mine and I believe part of the cause was it wasn't getting enough to eat. I honeslty wouldn't put endlers in a 5 gallon because they are so active as well. But shrimp would work well.

7. OP
    OP
    Phil1078

I do not have access to live food, so I decided against the badis.

According to other sources, the honey gourami is closer to 2", which is why I thought a pair would be fine in a 5gal.

The "sparklers" I was referring to are sparkling gouramis, Trichopsis pumila.

8. amber0107

I would highly recommend you not put a honey gourami, let alone a pair in a 5 gallon. It is much too small. Sparkling gouramis, maybe, though I haven't had them before. But, I do have a honey and I can't imagine putting it into a 5 gallon. It wouldn't have any room to swim.

(I just measured mine when it came up to the glass and it's well over 2 inches...pushing 2.5)

9. OP
    OP
    Phil1078

Hmm, so are honey gouramis particularly active? If we go by the old method of 1inch per gallon, even 2.5" is fine.

I appreciate your advice, and I am not trying to be argumentative. I just want to understand the issue so I can make an informed decision.

10. amber0107

Mine is very active. Even when I had it in my 20 gallon I felt like I was short-changing it because it zoomed all over the place. It rules my 45 gallon and is constantly in motion. Most recommend at least a 10 gallon for honey gouramis.

11. OP
    OP
    Phil1078

Okay, thank you for your advice.

Do you think I should just stick with the two sparklers and shrimp? Any other suggestions?

12. amber0107

To be honest, most sites recommend a minimum of 10 gallons for even the smallest gouramis. Shrimp would be great or you might even go for just a couple of ADF's which are super cute. They'd do great in a small species only aquarium.

13. OP
    OP
    Phil1078

Hmm, well I think two sparklers would be fine in a 5gal, especially a planted one with many hiding places as I intend to provide. Thank you for your opinion though.

14. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

You've asked for our advice, you got it... a 5 gallon doesn't have the room to provide them with sufficient hiding places, you should get a bigger tank 10-20g, the bigger the tank, the easier to maintain anyway. The only thing you can keep in a 5 gal is shrimp and snails... and possibly a betta, although in my opinion they are happier, healthier and thrive better in a 10g. I'd invest in a 10g instead of that 5g... It's worth it and will be better for your fish, regardless of the species.

15. OP
    OP
    Phil1078

I do appreciate your advice, but I do not necessarily agree with all of it, which is okay. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

16. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

Fair enough! Good luck :)

17. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I think you'll be ok with that stocking.

Just make sure the tank is cycled and stable before adding the gourami. They are sensitive little fish, and do best in an established, stable system.

18. OP
    OP
    Phil1078

Thanks ryan. If I choose to add fish, which I am not sold on yet, it would be much later.