5g shrimp tank stocking ?

TimeHalt

Now that my 10g pea puffer tank have been up and running, I really wanted a small tank that I could breed snails in and feed them the snails since they eat them so fast in their tank. I was able to setup a 5 gallon for a good price, and since it is 5g I will keep shrimp too. I know that shrimp have quite a small bioload, so any good ideas for fish I could put in the 5 gallon with them? I might just leave it as a shrimp/snail tank but I would love to have any fish in there as long as they won't eat all the shrimp and snails.

Aquashrimp42

If you really want your shrimp to do well it would be best to leave it as a shrimp/snail tank because most any fish will pick on and kill off some of your shrimp. For a tank that small the only fish I can think of that would be relatively safer would be an otocinclus. Those do better in groups of at least 6 in a 10-gallon tank. You could also try some of the smaller more peacefully, smaller mouthed tetras like neon tetras, white clouds, and ember tetras. I think ember tetras would be best being the smallest in size and mouth. They would only eat the smallest of babies and plenty would survive especially if you have some java moss or a planted tank.

Upvote 0

TimeHalt

If you really want your shrimp to do well it would be best to leave it as a shrimp/snail tank because most any fish will pick on and kill off some of your shrimp. For a tank that small the only fish I can think of that would be relatively safer would be an otocinclus. Those do better in groups of at least 6 in a 10-gallon tank. You could also try some of the smaller more peacefully, smaller mouthed tetras like neon tetras, white clouds, and ember tetras. I think ember tetras would be best being the smallest in size and mouth. They would only eat the smallest of babies and plenty would survive especially if you have some java moss or a planted tank.
Yes I do plan on having a few plants including java moss. I will look into ember tetras thanks.

Upvote 0

H Farnsworth

With such a small tank your best bet is to do daily 5-10% water changes. This will allow the tank to remain more stable than weekly water changes of 25-50% which is key to shrimp tanks. Your goal when doing so would be to gently add the water to prevent stirring things up. If you run into issues you should check the odd water parameters such as pH and hardness. Copper testing may be needed depending on what type of pipes are in your house. You could keep like 50-100 in a tank with lost of hiding places if you properly maintain the water.

Upvote 0

lilirose

The only fish that can live permanently in a 5 gallon tank and be well and happy is a Betta, and most Bettas will eat shrimp. I recommend you just have shrimp and snails in a 5-gallon. When the shrimp overbreed (as they probably will), it's more food for the pea puffer.

Upvote 0

tjander

If your talking about red cherry shrimp or other neo types then snails and shrimp only. If you want Amano shrimp you could do fish snails and Amano. Ghost shrimp would be ok with fish as well.
Neon tetras, pencil fish, cpd are all my favorite mixed with ghosts or Amano’s

But IMO your asking for trouble with fish and neo’s

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishTankFanatic
  • Question