1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

5g Planted Tanks?

1. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

My boyfriend is super interested in heavily planted tanks, with carpets of low growing plants and then more scaped plants throughout. He keeps telling me I can't have more than two tanks, and currently have three, so I told him he can inherit my 5g to do a planted tank that he likes. ;) I have low light, low maintenance plants in all of my tanks, but the plants that he is interested in when we go to my LFS would all require more light and CO2 than I have experience with.

Do any of you have nano super planted tanks? What CO2 systems would you recommend with a small tank like that? I don't think he wants any fish in the tank so I don't know if that will impact it at all either. Pictures of your tanks are more than welcome!!

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

This was a 2.6 gallon moderate-heavily planted scape that is now retired:
    Aquascaping The Fluval Spec 3 - Progress

No CO2 in that one, but I do have this 1 gallon that has DIY citric acid and baking soda CO2:
    Bucephalandra Puddle - 1 Gallon Cube Scape

For CO2, if you're going to use a ceramic/glass diffuser I'd invest in a quality one, the one I used here is really meh and pretty useless because it doesn't give an even stream of fine bubbles. DIY is cheap, you can get a decent citric acid/baking soda kit on eBay for $10, comes with a pressure gauge and needle valve. Pressurized is expensive, but lasts years and years, can be moved to future scapes, doesn't fluctuate, and lasts longer before a refill is needed.

I don't think anybody's first aquascape turns out super great (mine included ha), but research and observation will help you create something that's not terrible. Unfortunately aquascaping is expensive and the best of the best require money. Quality and quantity of hardscape and plants matter, and neither are cheap. The learning curve is also steep, but at least for me, before I knew it I was wanting rimless tanks and pressurized CO2 and quality plant lights, and if he thinks you can't have more than two tanks, just watch him :D

I truly believe the best resource to learn aquascaping and plant keeping is youtube. George Farmer, ADU Aquascaping, The Green Machine, and Dennis Wong are my favorite channels. Of course, the father of aquascaping was the late Takashi Amano, there are many videos of his work too :)

3. OP
    OP
    sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

Thanks so much!! Your tanks look amazing. Something to strive toward :D

I'll have to watch some of the YouTube channels for ideas before diving in.