5G low-tech planted

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Saturn, Aug 11, 2015.

1. SaturnValued MemberMember

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to make a build thread on my (modified) Fluval Chi! I got this tank about May-ish I believe? It was originally a betta only tank, then I added some Rosy Red Minnows, then they killed the Betta (even though everywhere online said they were peaceful community fish, non-nippers), then a minnow only tank, and now a planted tank! I decided to give a go at planted once more as other times were complete failures.

Anyway I'm wanting to make this thread to keep up with the tank and to be able to look back at what it was like before.

Equipment:
    AquaClear 20 (100 GPH)
    Aqueon 50W heater
    National Geograpic clip on LED
    Black aquarium substrate

Fauna:
    Poecilia reticulata (1 male, 3 female)

Flora:
    Hygrophila corymbosa stricta 'Compacta'
    Hygrophila difformis
    Microsorum pteropus
    Anubias barteri 'Petite'

Supplements:
    API CO2 Booster (once a day)
    Seachem Flourish Comprehensive (twice a week)
    Seachem Root Tabs

This is probably about 3 weeks of growth for all the plants and they have all done so well! I can't wait until it all grows out to the top :)

I'm wanting to add some RCS or CRS in the future and replace the light with another but in time :)

Anyway here it is! I'll try and update as much as possible!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Awesome. I plan on doing a fluval spec v lowtech betta only tank soon. But I plan on trying an ultra low maintenance tank as in stock light only and no ferts or anything. We'll see if it works. But I'll enjoy watching this thread.

3. SaturnValued MemberMember

That's awesome! I've always wanted a Fluval Spec but I just don't have the money. But good luck though! I know the stock lighting on the Spec is definitely enough to support a wide variety of low-light plants

4. SaturnValued MemberMember

Added a lyre-tail version of Poecilia reticulata along with a very small Trichogaster chuna. It seems every time I add another Poecilia reticulata to the tank, all of them huddle together and are really jumpy and almost are kinda flaring at each other? I don't know, it's strange, but it passes over. Also very happy to add a Trichogaster chuna into the tank! I tried to keep one of these long ago and died within a few days even though my tank was absolutely fine. I really hoping this one lasts and grows! Cute little guys. Also for those who are annoyed with scientific names, Poecilia reticulata is a Guppy and Trichogaster chuna is Honey Gourami :)

Edit: I've noticed some flashing from all the fish lately, even for the new comers so it looks like I'm going to have to invest in a better 50W heater (one with an temperature gauge).

5. SaturnValued MemberMember

Well yesterday I moved into my dorm for freshman year at college and wow was that a stressful day! I had to drain 3/4s of my tank down and move it all the way to my dorm and it was stressful and yeah.

The fish didn't seem stress at all during the ride or even when I was refilling the tank! The layout of the plants is a bit different because the decor that was rolling around during the ride uprooted some of the Hygrophila corymbosa stricta 'Compacta' and Hygrophila difformis. It doesn't look too different but I'll adjust. Also went out and bought a new heater because the Aqueon just wasn't giving out the heat I was wanting and also didn't have an adjustable temperature gauge. Went out and bought the Nat Geo 50W heater (it was the cheapest) and it works like a charm. I set the temperature on it to 80 degrees and the tank has been a steady 80! Very happy :)

Also one of my Poecilia reticulata died the night before move-ins. I'm not exactly sure what was wrong with her but I believe whatever it was was from the previous tank she was in at the store as my parameters are 0,0,0,10. Oh well. RIP Lola.

6. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Other than your most recent death, how are the guppy's doing in a 5 gallon? I originally had thought of doing a betta tank in the 5 gallon I mentioned earlier but now I'm going to be doing a guppy tank. Was thinking of keeping 3 males as I don't want fry. Didn't know how you thought it was going with 4 guppies in the same space.

7. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

The guppies acting feisty when adding a new one is just the pecking order being reset. The fish are trying to establish their dominance, and when a new member is added, that has to be done again.

8. SaturnValued MemberMember

They are doing great! I have a very opinionated view on stocking aquariums and what can go in what yada yada. I honestly do not like stocker nazis that say "this should only go in this blah". I agree with majority of the opinions like what some fish should go in but for the other half of that spectrum I don't necessarily agree. I also think how stocked an aquarium can be is also a matter of opinion. I don't know, it's all opinions in my eyes but I'm not trying to spark a debate or anything, just what I think about it :)

Thank you so much for the information! :) I was curious as the established male would go after the new comer a lot but I think after moving the tank everyone has settled into the new pecking order.

9. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Yep, and as is the case with any schooling, shoaling, and social fish. Anytime there's a new guy in town, they all have to duke it out and decide who's in charge wether the existing male stays at the top, a existing make sneaks in and takes the cake, or if the new guy is a total macho fish and trumps everyone else. Fish behavior is a fascinating thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

I'm of a similar mindset when it comes to overstocking and size of schools. Don't get me wrong, I think there are some fish that need a school to feel safe but at the same time, I feel we quickly lump many fish in together as schooling/shoaling and say they have to have at least 5 or 6. For instance, I have 3 oto's and plenty of people will say they need 6 to feel safe. Honestly, besides bumping into each other, I don't think these guys care what the others are doing. Sometimes they are together but most of the time they are spread all over the tank. Same way with cherry barbs. I think if I only had 2 or 3 they would be fine. I have 5 and plan on getting more because I like them so much.

11. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

I think there are just so many factors too. The need of feeling safe isn't prominent in a tank that has no larger or semi aggressive fish for example. Lots of variables to consider.

12. SaturnValued MemberMember

Exactly my feelings! Another thing that bothers me is when people try to back up the claims with "in my experience". But what do you say when my experience contradicts yours? It's all just opinions.

Anyway, the guppies are seeming to settle in some and the pecking order is starting to recode itself. The older guppy is definitely the dominate male, though. I've noticed some flashing so I bumped the thermostat to about 83 degrees. I'll be watching carefully

13. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Good to hear. I haven't decided what I'm going to put in the tank with the guppies. Definitely a nerite but we'll see. Considering 5 pygmy cories. Spec v almost has the same footprint as a 10 g. Probably a bit overstocked but in seeing a lot of more experienced fish keepers than me keep them in the fluval specs.

Anyways I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of your tank.

14. SaturnValued MemberMember

I'd totally get a Nerite in my tank but it's open top and you know that booger would go crawling out of the tank and all around my dorm. I'll add some pictures tomorrow! :)

15. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Yeah now that you mention it...the fluval's have an open top. It has a lid but I believe the top is open where the light is. Will have to monitor once I have it set up.

Looking forward to the pics

16. JswinWell Known MemberMember

I had a couple nerites in a spec v and they never got out with the lid on. I guess the hole in the middle was too far for them to venture to

17. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

From what I've heard they won't really try to escape unless something goes bad in the water, aka an ammonia spike or some other pollutant. As long as your water is good, shouldn't be an issue. The Nerite in my betta tank although it has a lid, there are open spots in the back of the lid, I've never seen him go above the water line.

18. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Good to know. Thanks

19. SaturnValued MemberMember

Trichogaster chuna :)

Poecilia reticulata

Whole tank + new(ish) layout

Above the tank

Sorry for the quality of the pictures! They are taken on an iPhone 6. It's the best and only thing I have. I have noticed growth in all my plants! So excited :) Not getting algae like I used to whenever I tried planted tanks and that makes me crazy happy! Fish are all looking good too! I might get a Nerite then. Or would it be possible to even get a Apple Snail? Would those climb out of the tank? I know they do when they lay their clutch but I would only have one.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  20. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

I think apple snails get pretty big.

Beautiful honey gourami. Awesome looking tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice