5g light too bright?

• Thread starter StarGirl
  • Start date

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I have a Powerglo 18,000k 14w T8 bulb in my 5g hood light. Im getting all different kinds of algae. Staghorn, BBA, regular green, blue/green. Is this light too much for such a small tank? Or do I possibly need to dose more ferts? Plants are Bacopa, guppy grass and Anacharis. Sand substrate, Thrive C fertilizer. Sponge filter.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
StarGirl said:
I have a Powerglo 18,000k 14w T8 bulb in my 5g hood light. Im getting all different kinds of algae. Staghorn, BBA, regular green, blue/green. Is this light too much for such a small tank? Or do I possibly need to dose more ferts? Plants are Bacopa, guppy grass and Anacharis. Sand substrate, Thrive C fertilizer. Sponge filter.
Try hornwort and floaters to out-compete the algae

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I have a different bulb to use. I just want to know if its too much light for these plants, and growing the algae. Its on a time for 7 hrs a day. The staghorn is up top right under the light.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
before switching bulbs i would try 3 hours on 3 hours off 3 hours on for 6 hours of light and then if that doesn't work 2.5 hours 3 hours 2.5 hours... i.,e reduce time on before intensity but a little depends on what plants you have. I recently invested in a much more powerful light for my 40B (about 1.7x brighter than fluval plant 3.0) and preliminary it has helped some more demanding plants to grow but i cut the 100% time to 5 hours (being led i can keep the tank lit at 10ish% at other times - an advantage over tubes). I've only had it running for about a month so the current results are inconclusive but very promising. This is a low tech tank.
--
The suggestion of floaters is not bad because it shields other parts of the tank but i would still reduce the on time rather than weaken the light.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Thats the thing......I want my lights on when Im home from work. So I can see my fish all night. They are on from 3-10.

Top Bottom