5g Filter

Mehu

Valued Member
Reaction score
I ordered something like this a little while ago but it must be coming from china because it says it wont be here until December. I am excited. Looks nice. Let me know how well it works for you?

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I ordered something like this a little while ago but it must be coming from china because it says it wont be here until December. I am excited. Looks nice. Let me know how well it works for you?
I got this off ebay and got it 2 days later.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got a few of those a few years ago. I really like them and use one in my Betta rubra tank to this day. Only thing I can say is clean the gunk out of yours more often than I do mine... LOL flow has really reduced in 5 years with little to no cleaning. Fortunately my bettas don't care.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good to know they work Junebug. What size air pump do you use with yours? I'm thinking it'll need at least an air pump for a 10g to run efficiently?

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good to know they work Junebug. What size air pump do you use with yours? I'm thinking it'll need at least an air pump for a 10g to run efficiently?
I used to use a Tetra Whisper 10-20 pump on it. But right now it's hooked up to a crazy industrial strength air pump that powers 5 lines and 4 tanks. It has the least amount of flow of all of the tanks on that pump LOL.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have one in each of my 10g betta tanks. I need to add crushed coral for my pH. This solved my problem. Can still use the coral and a corner filter. I got one that is double the size though. I use a 10g pump with a gang valve. I also have a regular sponge filter in the tank too. The 10g pump gives enough circulation to both filters. No problem.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just hope I don't get a mini cycle as this tank is cycled but filterless at the moment. With snails I feel the need for a filter.

DCJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have this filter in my little 5 gal too. I tried to reduce the flow with filter floss in the outflow pipe - bad idea.

The bubbles now come out of the grille in the top of the box & I haven't managed to stop them from doing so. The tank is for a puffer & I need minimal current so I'm going to switch to a sponge filter, but it's powerful for something so small so I'm planning on trying it in a 10 even. I like that you can add your own media to the box as well.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have this filter in my little 5 gal too. I tried to reduce the flow with filter floss in the outflow pipe - bad idea.

The bubbles now come out of the grille in the top of the box & I haven't managed to stop them from doing so. The tank is for a puffer & I need minimal current so I'm going to switch to a sponge filter, but it's powerful for something so small so I'm planning on trying it in a 10 even. I like that you can add your own media to the box as well.
What size air pump did you use? It did nothing with the 5-10g air pump. I'm looking at a 20g pump.

DCJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use these ones for nearly all my sponge filters: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QSJH43S/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

I'm not sure of the actual gallons they're for but one of them is currently powering 4 sponge filters on the lowest setting (you can turn the dial to adjust the force) and the box filter is one of them.

There are smaller models too, even the one of those I have is powering 2 airstones and a sponge filter for a shrimp tank. I love them, they're cheap and they come with freebies.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just bought a Tetra air pump rated for 10g. I had to adjust the valve to lower the air flow a bit as the bubbles were coming out so fast. Hopefully this is all the filter I need for this 5.2g invert tank.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Get a gang valve to put on your air pump tubing. Then you can control the airflow. You can slow the flow as much as you want.

Something like this will work

uxcell Stainless Steel Aquarium Inline Manifold Air Flow Pump Tubing Splitter Lever Control Valve

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My Tetra air pump actually came with one, pretty neat.

Bentley

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've tried this model, too, for my 5 gallon betta tank. Without the option for an air stone, the bubble output was too rough for my betta, even with a small air pump that was meant for a nanotank. I now use the Tetra Whisper filters for 1-3 gallon tanks. They get mixed reviews, but I'm really happy with mine in my betta tanks. I don't use the filter cartridges, but instead just fill the filter with ceramic rings.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom