5g Dry Start Method (dsm) Tank Progression

1. KirkyTurkey

KirkyTurkey Valued Member Member

Hey guys,

I started a 5G tank a few weeks ago, I planned to experiment with the DSM using Monte Carlo, as it is my favorite carpeting plant, and wanted to share progress photos. I have already started, and have been taking photos of the progression each week, so I will put a few posts in a row in order to catch up to where I am now, in week 3, where I will give some further detail as to what's going on.

I have no final plans for the tank yet, I have just always wanted to try the DSM, so we will come to that bridge in a few weeks after I flood/cycle the tank.

Enjoy!

2. OP
    OP
    KirkyTurkey

I bought 3 pots of MC, and separated it into smaller clusters, and planted it in Eco-Complete. I bought the Eco-Complete thinking it was fertilized like an aqua soil, but I was mistaken, so we will see how it turns out. I also took the first picture with the lid on, so I apologize

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    KirkyTurkey

Week 2:

I also have moss in there, again experimentally just seeing how it does, I added a few crypts to see if they would make it, but they got moldy within 48 hours so I took them out. I am spraying it down every few days with Flourish Comprehensive and water in about a 1:1 ratio, which is probably a lot but it's worked alright so far. MC started to melt a little during week 2

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    KirkyTurkey

Week 3:

Definitely starting to notice the growth, and the green is starting to come back after a little melting in week 2. I added a rock and a few pieces of driftwood, as I rescaped my Walstad style tank and had some extra bits of material I didn't know what to do with. I am hoping to see the MC cover the river stone in the same way that it is starting to cover the lava rock in the back left corner (top right of the photo)

Attached Files:

5. ELON MOLLUSK

ELON MOLLUSK Valued Member Member

That looks nice bro.

6. OP
    OP
    KirkyTurkey

Thanks man!

7. Gamer

Gamer Well Known Member Member

Looks good

hoping it flourishes well

8. OP
    OP
    KirkyTurkey

We will see, I'm hoping to flood it July 1st if it fills in by then

9. OP
    OP
    KirkyTurkey

Week 4:
    Slow and steady progress

Attached Files:

10. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

what is dsm?

11. Ms rose

wait.... theres no water????!!!!! im so confused hahah i assume dsm means something about not having water. this is interesting. im going to have to "watch" this thread!

12. OP
    OP
    KirkyTurkey

Dry start method.

Many types of aquatic plants can adapt to being grown out of water. Atmospheric co2 is in much higher concentrations than dissolved co2 under water, so the plants grow quicker, and it gives a chance for the roots to establish before you flood the tank. So I am growing a monte carlo carpet faster by not using water, and once it has filled in, I will add water, start pumping co2 like crazy to make sure the plants adjust, and then start cycling with a full carpet already established. Slowly I will lower the co2 concentrations so the plants adapt to smaller amounts, and once my cycle is done, I can add fish without gassing them off with all that extra co2

13. Ms rose

wow thats so cool! wonderful plan and looks to be working for you. thanx for the info and clarification on that! :)

14. ELON MOLLUSK

It looks to be growing well ! Good job brotha. Keep posting them pics

15. OP
    OP
    KirkyTurkey

Still seeing growth, but very slowly. I think it's because my substrate is not fertilized. Maybe I will throw some root tabs on one side of it and see how the growth changes.

@ELON MOLLUSK thanks for the support dude

Attached Files:

16. ELON MOLLUSK

No problemo, yeah but the week 1 photos compared to now are awesome!