5g Co2, And 29 Tall

1. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Valued Member Member

I've got three tanks, one is a nursery for juvenile cichlids, so I'm not investing much in plants for that one, it would be a waste.

I fertilize with Thrive in the 29, and Thrive S in the 5. I also have root tabs places throughout both tanks (just one in the 5), and use API CO2 booster liquid. Sometimes dose with Seachem Excel, but my respiratory system isn't a fan (I also have trouble being patient enough to do the math, for proper dosage in the small tank.)

Have a nicrew light (the one that automatically links out with the word light/lights), on the 29. The 5g has some off brand cheap thing from the lfs. It does the job fine, but it was always just a starter.

Below are photos of both tanks. The one with the flame sword is the 5g. People like pictures right, haha? IMG_20180513_194015.jpg IMG_20180512_190014.jpg

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Is there no question?

4. OP
    OP
    Crafty Cichlid

Looking for recommendations for CO2 setups for both tanks. I was half asleep posting this, my bad.

5. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

For both tanks you would want a regulator, bubble counter, diffuser, drop checker, and of course a co2 canister.

If you go pressurized I would also upgrade your lighting (needs an upgrade either way, but type would depend on co2 or not)

Excel and api co2 booster are basically the same, no need to dose both.

6. OP
    OP
    Crafty Cichlid

I only use the API now. Easier dosing instructions, and the smell/fumes don't make me wheeze.

Agree about the light on the 5g, but you don't think the nicrew light is enough for the 29 (the light in the picture is pre-nicrew)? I have my old light on it too, but that one wasn't up to the task of lighting the tank without help. Does adding CO2 increase the lighting requirement?

Are there specific brands/models for the CO2 system? I'm kinda familiar with the requirements, but I don't want to overspend, or buy junk.