56 gallon column filtration feedback on plan request

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Colorado, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Colorado

ColoradoValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    56 gallon column filtration question, help please

Hi all,
    First thing is a loud "thank you" for all the wisdom I've absorbed through lurking. I am going from my little Eheim Aquastyle 10 gallon to a 56 gallon column tank I got on Craig's List. Huge change.

I've read a lot of review of various canister filters and think I've decided just to go with an Eheim 2217. I'm a bit of gadget geek so the newer Eheims, Fluvals, Aquatop, etc are tempting, but the Eheim Classic seems a solid, dependable filter and well-suited to a beginner. (Something about the Fluval FX-5 makes me drool a little, but it seems way overkill).

Any reason to go with something else? The Eheim seems a little overpowered (Aqadvisor.com says I'll have 200-something % filtration capacity, but it is a deep tank and I thought having a somewhat more powerful filter would help with circulation and cleanliness. Am I wrong about that--this will be a community tank with smallish fish (neons, endlers, RCS, small corys, etc) and I don't want to blow them away or spend needlessly on a larger filter.

If I use some media bags, the Eheim seems like it will be easy enough to maintain.

So, any suggestions or corrections. Thanks.

Nathan (Colorado)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    Just started
    Welcome to fishlore! Former lurker here myself ;)

I don't own any eheims so I can't speak to their ease of maintenance or use but from a flow rate perspective that filter seems a proper fit for the size tank you have. It turns over 264 gph, or just under the recommended 5x turnover for canisters, as long as its not a heavily stocked tank it should be fine imo. If you run into issues with too strong of a current you can always direct the outlet against the glass.

I do own an aquatop cf400 I use on a 55g and I'm very satisfied with it, especially given the price.

3. OP
    OP
    Colorado

ColoradoValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks for the answer. So if the tank will be heavily stocked--as I plan--I might need an even bigger filter? Thanks.