Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

56 Gal Column Freshwater Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by NoOne, Apr 20, 2019.

1. NoOneValued MemberMember

Appears my tank is cycled. Casting for opinions.
    I was going to fill this planted tank(30x18x24) with:
    2 platinum Angel's
    10 rummynose tetras
    5 panda cories
    2 otocinclus
    2 blue rams or 2 kribensis

Instead I think it would be more captivating with:
    5 platinum Angel's
    9 rummynose tetras
    5 panda cories
    2 otocinclus

I have the marineland penquin 200 and a 150 power biowheels. Enough for up to 80 gal.

Could I add more to the line up with 5 Angel's? Such as Kribs or Rams?

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Do not do 5 angels! I had a pair that completely dominated a 55 gallon at work and terrorized anything else in that tank. They would try to attack customers through the glass and spawned multiple times.

IMG_20180618_154724.jpg

As you can see, that mature angel pair took up quite a bit of room in a 48 inch tank. While your tank is 56 gallons you cannot treat the stocking the same due to the smaller footprint of only 30 inches. Really, you need to treat it more like 30 gallons but with more wiggle room for bioload.

Your original stocking idea is more appropriate, but I would do bump up the cory numbers to 8-10 and skip the otocinclus altogether. Otos are finicky and need very mature, well planted tanks or they starve. I would also do rams over kribensis as kribensis are aggressive and territorial, while also preferring different water parameters to the rest of your stocking.

3. NoOneValued MemberMember

Thanks for the input. So the original thought would not be to busy. Plus I M going to add these all very slowly

4. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

I second the opinion on skipping the otos. A new tank won't have enough food for them, plus they like to shoal in numbers of 6+

5. NoOneValued MemberMember

Dang, I need something that will eat all types of algea, when the time comes, that wont get real big. I dont plan to get all these fish at once but at appropriate times.

6. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

7. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Amano shrimp. Brought into the hobby purely for their ability to eat soooo many different types of algae, but they are a social species, so you'll need at least three, more is better

8. NoOneValued MemberMember

Excellent. I believe they have a very low bio load so I can get say 10 for 2 gallon load? That is when the time is right.

9. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

They get pretty big (2-3") and eat a lot of protein, so they have heavy bioloads for shrimp, but you should be able to get away with a few per gallon, but I don't see you needing more than 5 for your 56 gallon tank.

10. NoOneValued MemberMember

Rtessy, thank you so much. I will get 5 then. Can I also include 5 cherry shrimp? Or say 3?

11. FahnFishlore VIPMember

They'll more than likely end up as snacks, but feel free to add them at your own discretion.

12. NoOneValued MemberMember

All the shrimp or just the cherry reds and who would be the culprit?

13. FahnFishlore VIPMember

All of them, especially once the angels are more mature.

14. NoOneValued MemberMember

Ok so the shrimp for algea are out. So are the otocinclus. So what other eats all types if algea, doesn't get over 2 to 4 inches and wont be a snack?

15. Annie59Well Known MemberMember

An algae scrapper, and your hand plus good water conditions lol.

16. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Bristlenose pleco is good it eats algae but you might have to feed it a sinking pellet or tablet once in a while. They grow from 3-5 in so a little large but still good

17. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

Algae isn't something you should have to worry about if the water chemistry is maintained. Algae is only caused by an excess of minerals (I'm no expert so I can't tell you which ones, I'm sure there's plenty of literature on it) and/or having the lights on too long. I've got a couple tanks with no algae eaters, and they do not have an algae problem. I only have to scrape the glass minimally every couple months or so

18. NoOneValued MemberMember

Thank y'all for all the input. Does the bristle nose eat a wide variety of algea?

19. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I think so I have one and it does a great job