55gallon tank blood parrot clown loach bala shark and more

Dunk2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome!

Although I have some other comments about your stock if you’re interested, l‘ll begin by asking about cycling your tank.

Your profile says you’re not aware of the nitrogen cycle. So your tank is not cycled?

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Clown loaches and bala sharks are shoaling species needing groups 6+ and need tanks 120g and larger. These guys will grow to a foot long...

This isn't gonna last you long as a grow out :)

There's so much activity in your tank, nice entertainment :D

BobbyTez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gregs76 said:
can you say, overstocked?
Yea I kinda think so

Dunk2 said:
Welcome!

Although I have some other comments about your stock if you’re interested, l‘ll begin by asking about cycling your tank.

Your profile says you’re not aware of the nitrogen cycle. So your tank is not cycled?
I tested the water this weekend and had nitrate a little high but fixing to put a pothos plant and I do 25% to 50% water change every ten days.

Dunk2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BobbyTez said:
I tested the water this weekend and had nitrate a little high but fixing to put a pothos plant and I do 25% to 50% water change every ten days.
What are you using to test your water and are you testing for ammonia? And what exactly is your nitrate level?

Every 10 days is very likely not nearly enough given your stock and the fact that your tank isn’t cycled.

BobbyTez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MissNoodle said:
Clown loaches and bala sharks are shoaling species needing groups 6+ and need tanks 120g and larger. These guys will grow to a foot long...

This isn't gonna last you long as a grow out :)

There's so much activity in your tank, nice entertainment :D
Dunk2 said:
What are you using to test your water and are you testing for ammonia? And what exactly is your nitrate level?

Every 10 days is very likely not nearly enough given your stock and the fact that your tank isn’t cycled.
I have the Api freshwater master test kit, yes ammonia is good and nitrite also but my nitrate was between 40 or 80 ppm

Dunk2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If your nitrate is 80, you need to bring it down with consistent water changes. When I did my only fish-in cycle, I was doing partial water changes pretty much daily.

What do you consider good ammonia. And are you using Seachem Prime or something similar to protect your fish?

BobbyTez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dunk2 said:
If your nitrate is 80, you need to bring it down with consistent water changes. When I did my only fish-in cycle, I was doing partial water changes pretty much daily.

What do you consider good ammonia. And are you using Seachem Prime or something similar to protect your fish?
It’s 0 ppm in ammonia and 0 ppm in nitrite, when you did your water change almost daily what % of water did you do? And did you vacuumed your gravel every water change?

Dunk2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So is your tank fully cycled?

To answer your question, my goal was to keep ammonia levels at or below 0.5 ppm. So, if the level was approaching 1.0 ppm, I’d do about a 50% water change. I was also using Seachem Prime every 24 - 48 hours. I would vacuum the gravel once a week.

P.S. I’m proud to say I didn’t lose any fish during the cycling process. A bit of luck also helped!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom