55Gallon-Cichlids

1. Cichlidxorz Initiate Member

Hello, I just realized that i havent introduced myself yet and have made a few topic posts. I am 16 and I live in Yukon, Canada. I have recently traveled to Australia with my family to visit my sister who stayed there for a year. And i must agree with all the australians out there that "Australia Rules!" I have 6 fish tanks as of now and I for one know that i have MTS. I started with one for my birthday(a 10 Gallon) and then another 10 gallon for Christmas. I then bought another one from a LPS that was changing owners so they were getting rid of all their stock(15G). I have yet to find a proper lid for it but a peice of cut plexy glass has done well for me so far until i can find a lid for it. Along with the 15 Gallon i rescued 6 African siklets( one of which died when i accidentally left the filter tip off of the filter and it got sucked up during the night so i wasnt around to save it. That is when i decided that i needed some professional advice. Hence me joining this forum :D.

I just realized that i have forgotten how the hobby originally started with my mom buying me a 1G betta tank from a garage sale when i was 12. Soon afterwards the 2 10 gallon ones came.

Anyways back to where i was. Soon after that cichlid died i posted a few topics on here and got a great reply from the members of Fishlore( thanks again). My hobby has now grown even further because i just recently bought a 55G tank and stand from Walmart for only 300$ which i thought was a very good price. It is 4 feet long 18" high and about 20" wide. Im not sure if this is actually a 55G tank because it seems bigger but thats just me.

Now onto my magnificent creation( hopefully). I have started cycling the tank and its been about 2 days now. I have boughten gravel and a background for the tank. I heard Cichlids dont like alot of gravel? can ne one clarify that? I have taken pictures of it and i beleive that if the image in my head gets transfered even half into the actually real tank then i will be spending most of time in my livingroom. Even with the background and the natural coloured gravel i think it looks like it is going to turn out nice. Im going to try and stay away from live plants in it but i have boughten a peice of nice drift wood in my opinion? Ne thoughts? I have posted a picture below. I would still like to find a nice stump for one side like Carols but i think that i will have to keep dreaming to ever have a tank that nice :D. Heres the pictures and i am looking forward to ur posts. I hope there will be plenty and that they will be detailed. I love reading up on others suggestions and what they have done with their tanks as well as writing about my own......as you can see. I am still learning and probably will be for a long time :D bear with me :D.

Thanks for Reading,
    Cichlids

2. Cichlidxorz Initiate Member

Oh yeah heres the pictures of my 55GFish tank and my drift wood....

Attached Files:

3. Cichlidxorz Initiate Member

Heres 2 more....

Attached Files:

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes Cichlids love gravel(they love to dig in it, move it, throw it etc) and they have alot of personality also.
    Your tanks look great and yes you have a serious case of MTS. You came to the right place.
    Carol

6. dano569 Member Member

what is your ph in that tank.be careful with that driftwood it lowers your ph.just gonna let ya know ;).

7. Cichlidxorz Initiate Member

Thanks dano for the drift wood advice. I have yet to perchase a ph and nitrate, nitrite tester but i plan on doing that before adding fish to the tank. How long does a 55G tank usually take to cycle or does it all depend on the water conditions it started with? ANyways thanks for the compliments and i will be back on here posted my ph and nitrate, nitrite readings as soon as possible. And of course be posting pictures of my tank when i have it all settle in with the fish and decor.

Thanks again,
    Cichlids

8. dano569 Member Member

it depends on a number of things.my last 55 took less than a week to cycle,but i put a biowheel off another tank and some rock structures so that made it quicker.

9. Jason Well Known Member Member

Great Looking Pics! :D

10. Allie Fishlore VIP Member

Cichlids love to dig certain kinds...like my zebras I had. The only problem with that is...sometimes you come out in the morning to a pile of gravel/sand and can see too well in the tank. lol