55GAL Tank Stocking Ideas

JWL

I bought a 55Gal tank got it all set up with some decorations, added Prime and 4 black mollies

We really like Cichlids would like to get two electric yellow Cichlids and two convict cichlids but I don't know if it would be too much with the 4 mollies and then maybe 4 cories too

We also like the Red Tailed Shark alot so maybe we could add one with 4-8 mollies and 4-8 cories

Would a green spotted puffer work in freshwater? What goldfish could I add with the mollies? Honey dwarf gourami? Shrimp?

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_081356.jpg
    IMG_20220626_081356.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 8

kansas

Please do research and make sure the fish you buy can get along - same water temps, if they're peaceful or aggressive. The fish you name are all over the place, some would work together and some would not.

I'd also suggest live plants. It helps keep your water clean, and your fish will be calmer and healthier.

Be patient, good luck.

JWL

We bought some live plants and added them to the tank hopefully some good bacteria came with them. Now just patience for the cycling process and planning for a community tank. We are going to add Cories in the future and maybe a clown loach especially if these plants have some hidden buddies lol

Any active community fish you would recommend to go well with Mollies and Cories?

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_114801.jpg
    IMG_20220626_114801.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 12

Seasoldier

I bought a 55Gal tank got it all set up with some decorations, added Prime and 4 black mollies

We really like Cichlids would like to get two electric yellow Cichlids and two convict cichlids but I don't know if it would be too much with the 4 mollies and then maybe 4 cories too

We also like the Red Tailed Shark alot so maybe we could add one with 4-8 mollies and 4-8 cories

Would a green spotted puffer work in freshwater? What goldfish could I add with the mollies? Honey dwarf gourami? Shrimp?
Whoa, slow down a bit, Yellow & Convict cichlids are from two different continents & live in totally different environments. Red Tail Sharks are aggressive & territorial. Green Spotted Puffers prefer brackish water etc. etc. I'm sure you're getting the picture. Before you decide on & buy any fish or inverts please do a ton of research on them to ensure they are compatible tank mates & always factor in bio-load (i.e. goldfish are constant pooping machines & have a high bio-load) & their eventual adult size compared to your tank size. Do your homework first & it will save you a lot of money & heart break from diseased & dead fish going forward.

JWL

I added a large piece of filter media from an established 5gallon tank just to be on the safe side. I also added the zebra danios from this tank.

I have been researching and found true mostly all of what you have said. Very helpful information! Thank you.

4x Black Mollies
2x Zebra Danios

I did see Yellow Lab Cichlids or Electric Yellow Cichlids are mostly peaceful it would be cool to have just one in the 55gal tank. Maybe we could do something like this...

1x Yellow Lab Cichlid
4x Black Mollies
2x Zebra Danios
4x Cories

Would that be too much for a 55gal tank?

kansas

The mollies will breed and the danios and cories like to be in bigger groups.

If you have all male mollies you obviously won't get fty. If you have females, they were almost certainly pregnant when you got them.

JWL

The mollies will breed and the danios and cories like to be in bigger groups.

If you have all male mollies you obviously won't get fty. If you have females, they were almost certainly pregnant when you got them.
It looks like I have one male molly and 3 female mollies. How many could I get before I'm overstocked?

8x Zebra Danios
4x Black Mollies
4x Bumblebee Platies
8x Panda Cories

Am I getting close to being fully stocked? Would I be able to add the Yellow Lab Cichlid?

Seasoldier

It's doable but bear in mind that the cichlid is from Lake Malawi Africa, the danios are from South Asia, mollies are from central America & cories are from central / south America, you will have to make sure you find the sweet spot in pH, temperature, dH etc. for them all to thrive & look into their different dietary needs. Also to make them feel secure you'll need to up the danios to at least 6 (preferably more) and you'd be better off with a pair of labs rather than one in solitary.

TClare

Do you know the pH and hardness of your water? To go with the mollies I would prefer Central American cichlids rather than the yellow labs. Convicts will probably be too aggressive to coexist with your other fish though. You could consider Amatitlania nanolutea (yellow convict), rainbow cichlids or perhaps firemouths or another Thorichthys species. These cichlids will probably eat the Molly fry so not too much to worry about there. I am not sure how how they will work with Corydoras though.

JWL

I see what your saying I did read a lot of different fish with the parameters being not very specific so I think maybe that doesn't meter too much.

The Cichlids I was worried about getting more then one because if they mate they get territorial.

My local pet store has golden wonder killifish maybe I could replace the Cichlids with four of these. The kids like them.

kansas

I thought about those but couldn't find any to buy that were old enough to sex and didn't want multiple males.

JWL

1 Honey Gourami
4 Black Mollies
4 Bumblebee Platies
4 Zebra Danios
4 Panda Cories

Would the 55GAL be fully stocked?

kansas

This page is generally consider accurate in describing needs and bahaviours of various fish Seriously Fish — Feeling fishy?

I like a lightly stocked tank, it looks more natural to me, as do the many plants. Some like a more active tank that you can get with a lot of livebearers or a tank of cichlids.

I think a single gourami will be stressed by the livebearers. Gourami interact with each other and need to be in groups. Livebearers and danios are much more active and agressive.

Stocking is a huge decision you'll live with for some time.

Noroomforshoe

You need to keep more danios, they are schooling fish, the bare minimum for a school is 6 and the bare minimum does not work with danios. They get fin nippy, I suggest you keep no less than 9, you can create one school with leopards and zebras if you want a variety or cant find more leopards as they are the same species

Cories are a shoaling/ schooling species and the bare minimum is still 6. But if you really want them to act normal and happy, I would get a larger number of no less than 9.

Platies and mollies are both livebearers. Both mollies and platies stay in the same zone at the top of the tank. The mollies will see the platies as a threat to their territory and their food, and mollies could bully the platies to death if they decide to. Plus, with 3 females and one male molly, you will quickly end up with many more mollies, even if you don't try to save the fry, some also service,

You mentioned golden wonder killers. These are very cool fish, I loved mine! They stay at the top too. They likely wont have a problem competing with the mollies for space or food, they are tough fish. But they are likly to eat the fry. Almost all fish will eat other fish that are small enough to fit in their mouths, but golden wonder killie will actively hunt them The danios are very fast, but long skinny fish are vulnerable to becoming lunch to a golden wonder.

Clown loaches get huge, like 12 inches long and very wide. And they are very social schooling fish. They do not belong in aquariums that are less then 78 inches long. There are many loaches that stay much smaller including zebra, yoyo, chain, polk a dot, banded.... However I suggest you get more cories instead.

Honey gourami would be better in a group of 6-15

you could stock this way-
9 leopard and or zebra danios,
9 panda cories,
the 4 mollies
6 honey gourami

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom