55gal Stocking Ideas???

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Toshomfgosh, Apr 17, 2018.

1. ToshomfgoshNew MemberMember

So, I've been doing some research and I have became fond of Blood Red Parrots. Now I know they get big, so one is all my 55 gallon tank can hold. I'd prefer a BRP as my centerpiece fish with a school of rasboras or tetras. I'm open to other suggestions too, but how does this sound:

1x BRP
    5x Rasbora Hets
    1x rainbow shark
    2x Dwarf gourami

Would that work? Too many? Too small? The only Cichlid I've ever had was 4 Angel fish (had them for about 8 years) as a teen, so I'm fairly unfamiliar with the species -even tho the BRP is a hybrid. I do like most african cichlids; from what I understand they do best in 1:4 M:F groups, but I don't want to breed.

2. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Drop the shark. It will become a jerk eventually and will cause more problems. Your one BP in a 55g might be ok, though BP are cichilds some will be jerks as well.
    The Rasboras, not sure how they will do with a BP since it's a CA/SA fish and Rasboras are generally from Asia.

You could do a BP and a tetra from the South Americans, like Columbians and stack that with 20 of them with the BP.