55g

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OK, so I am setting up a blog for each of my 4 tanks. This one is obviously about my 55G...

This was set up with the intention of being a 'pairing' tank for my angels.
I had two existing (Shadow and Gandalf), and purchased another 4 juveniles. I lost one juvenile on day #2 to HITH, and the second angel I lost about a week later to what looked like similar symptoms. They had the condition in the store, and I failed to notice.

A couple of weeks later I got a beautiful full size marble angel. She was very timid, and was with us about a week and a half. I had a lot of trouble trying to get her to eat. Garlic soaking and live foods didn't get her interest; she just floated along at the top most of the time. The day before she died, I thought she was on the mend, as she was gliding all around the tank. She died on Monday.

So, currently in this tank are Shadow and one of my juvenile marbles. Gandalf and the other marble have been moved to the 180G due to aggression issues.
I suspect I have a pair in Shadow and the young marble, but it's a bit early to tell.

For those that remember, Gandalf and Shadow were separated for a few months before this tank, as Gandalf incessantly picked on Shadow, till he was cowering and not coming out for food. In the new tank, they got along really well until about two weeks ago, when Shadow decided it was payback time. So much for the sympathy vote...

So, after the above essay, a question:
If Shadow and the marble pair off, and (cross fingers) Gandalf and the other marble pair off, could I keep both pairs in the 55G or would there be too much agression (given Shadow's territorial issues to date)?

Comments appreciated, and pics will be updated tonight.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have kept multiples of angels in a 55g but inevitably when they spawn there is a fight and one of them winds up getting bashed.
If you do you will have to keep a close eye on them due to the already demonstrated issues
Carol

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the tip Carol.

Pics:

1. All the angels (note: black marble closest to the front on the right is no longer with us. )
2. Tank length shot with all the angels
3. Whole tank
4. Sara warming up on the lights
5. My dead marble sneaking up on Sara's tail!
6. My dead marble being cheeky...

Hope you all like!

Attachments

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi Bubblynutter

Great pics! A shame you lost a few

I had 4 angels in a 5 foot, 85G tank with 1 pair. The paired angels were always having a go at the other two but the other two wouldn't stay away either. They kept coming up and picking fights. I've not kept Angels long but from what I've experienced I wouldn't try 2 pairs in a 55G. It was bad enough for me with 1 pair in an 85G. Having said that there was no real damage done to anyone. My gold angel had some munted lips for a little while but healed pretty quick.

I've moved my pair to a 20G on their own and am nervously awaiting their next spawn. I've also got my fry tank ready to go when it's time to seperate fry from parents. So exciting

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Beautiful tank Bubbly! Fish are awesome and so is the cat

Sorry to hear that you lost the black Angel

Ken

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey thanks Jeff.
It's always good to hear others' experiences. I do have a few tanks, so can do some shuffling if required. If not, there's always plenty of rooms in the house without tanks!

Good luck with your next spawn, I'd love to see the updates!

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey thanks Jeff.
It's always good to hear others' experiences. I do have a few tanks, so can do some shuffling if required. If not, there's always plenty of rooms in the house without tanks!

Good luck with your next spawn, I'd love to see the updates!
Yeah no worries. I wish I had a bigger house as I've totally run out of room for more tanks haha. I'll definitely post some pics or a video when I have some success with my Angel pair.

Good luck with your new projects

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Beautiful tank Bubbly! Fish are awesome and so is the cat

Sorry to hear that you lost the black Angel

Ken
Thanks Ken! That's Sara. She is the laziest cat, unless she's trying to get to some fish-flavoured water or a warm hood. Then she can jump rather high. :shock:
Hubby calls her "Fluffy Cat", and Paige is "Other Cat". He has always refused to call them by their names. Any guesses as to his favourite cat?!

I was devastated to lose that particular angel. She was the most I have ever spent on a fish (as she was that size when I got her), and was so beautiful.

Hopefully I will add some more juveniles to the tank soon to try and get a pair (if Shadow and the young veil don't pair off).

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, it has been a while since updating on this tank, and had some 'interesting' developments last night.

Thought you might all like to know the big news:
Dum dum duuuuummmmm

Gandalf is a GIRL!!!!
I watched her for an hour and a half last night laying eggs on two leaves of the java fern. I took some pics and a short video, and will upload over the next 24 hours. I can't at the moment, as I am at work.

The juvenile super veil tail marble that is in the tank with Gandalf kept to itself up the opposite end of the tank, so no potential baby angel fry yet.
I'm going to try the other super VT in the tank again this weekend (currently in the 23G), and see if Gandalf is a little more accepting.

arty0009: arty0009: arty0009: arty0009: arty0009:

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your angels are pretty. Sorry about your last angel though. Does it house with other fish too or just the sorority of angels?

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Currently in this tank are Gandalf and 2 other super veil tail angels, 10 cardinal tetras, 1 female common bn pleco and my 3 male guppies are in 'time out' while the females have their fry in the 23G.

Should be able to upload pics tonight for those that are interested! (Will also update my clown loach thread [180G] with the newest additions)

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, I'm sad to update with terrible news.

I had the two juvenile marbles in the tank with Gandalf(ina?!) for about a week, with fabulous results. Initial sparring but quickly died down to peace.

One of the juveniles suddenly showed symptoms of HITH a couple of days ago. Enlarging hole in its gill cover, lethargy, staying up at the surface and loss of appetite. During the course of the next two days, I picked up two new tanks (6G and large, unsized cube acrylic) and set one up as a Q-tank for the sick marble. I got it all set up with a seeded sponge filter, and drip acclimated last night. The angel was looking very poorly, and I also noticed the second (remaining) juvie was starting to show early symptoms.

Both went into the Q tank last night. The poorly one died early this morning, as I was leaving for work. I didn't expect him to make it through the night, as he had lost his ability to swim vertically just before I went to bed. Poor little battler. I think the stress of moving him to the quarantine tank accelerated his decline.

The remaining juvie will stay in quarantine until I can (hopefully) cure him. I have only one left from the group of four that I originally purchased. I have lost a total of 5 angels, 4 to HITH and one unknown, since I brought these guys home a few months ago.

If anyone has ever doubted why quarantining is necessary - here is a heartbreaking reason why.
I never did believe in quarantining. I am now an avid advocate.

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry about your losses......I hope the rest get better.....your babies are GEORGEOUS!!!!!! I love the veil tails...but the black one is to die for!!!!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom