55g Update

1. BettaGirl22 Well Known Member Member

Thought I would drop by and update you all on the progress of my 55 gallon tank!

I recently purchased 7 cardinal tetras. The plan was to move the resident betta to the 20 gallon, but since he is pretty mellow and doesn't ever peck at the pleco or snails, I decided to give him a chance. I acclimated the tetras with the drip method, and once they were ready to go I locked up the betta in the breeding box. I let the tetras get used to the new tank for about an hour before I released the betta. There was a little chasing around at first, and I had the net ready, but he never even tried to nip at them and lost interest in about five minutes.

Today at the LFS I fell in love with the ember tetras and just had to bring 5 of them home. I did the same drill with the betta, and all went well.

The cardinals and embers all school together, and it's the most adorable thing. I love my little tetras!

The question is, what next? With the betta getting along so well with all his new tankmates, I am now determined to keep him in the mix for good, but now I am conflicted about what other tankmates I can add. I think I'd like a small school of albino corys, but I'd also like a few larger, more centerpiece fish, which I know can be problematic with bettas. Any ideas?

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I think you should add two more ember tetras to have a proper school,then get some warm water cories for the bottom.rams would make a good centerpiece,there might be problems though you would have to be ready to have them to another tank.