55G tank ideas

TrainerRuby
I'm looking to stock a 55g tank and need some ideas. I know I want to do a South American theme with an angel, a pair of GBR, and some Otto's but i need some schooling fish. all suggestions are welcome

StinkyLoaf
Otocinclus require an established tank with enough aufwuchs to keep them fed. They’ll eat it up until it’s gone, and will have trouble recognising commercial fish foods as their food and will often starve because of this. It’s hard to find otos that are in good shape at retailers.

Also, rams might get territorial with similar sized bottom dwellers such as the otos.

You’re looking for fish that survive in lower pH levels (5.0-7.0) and higher temperatures (25°C-28°C) similar to the rams.
LHAquatics said:
Rummy Nose tetras for sure!
Yes this should work. There are more options for fish that have similar requirements to the rams out there. I’d steer clear of neon tetras.

TrainerRuby
StinkyLoaf said:
Otocinclus require an established tank with enough aufwuchs to keep them fed. They’ll eat it up until it’s gone, and will have trouble recognising commercial fish foods as their food and will often starve because of this. It’s hard to find otos that are in good shape at retailers.

Also, rams might get territorial with similar sized bottom dwellers such as the otos.

You’re looking for fish that survive in lower pH levels (5.0-7.0) and higher temperatures (25°C-28°C) similar to the rams.

Yes this should work. There are more options for fish that have similar requirements to the rams out there. I’d steer clear of neon tetras.
see I've always had good luck with Oto's hence why I get them but ill defiantly keep other cleaners in mind. I wouldn't think that rams would mind them since I've only seen Oto's hang out on plants and walls. I've thought about neon's and I do like them but I also know they like to shred fins same with serpae and skirts. the tank as of right now is still cycling before anything gets added. so far there's only been one algae bloom thanks to some media from another tank but its still got a long ways to go before fish

TClare
Emperor tetras are good with angelfish, but they don’t really school, in my experience they are pretty independent And go all over the tank. Rosy tetras are nice and do keep together in a group usually. Bleeding heart tetras also should be fine. I know lemon tetras are often kept with angelfish, red eye tetras, hmm quite a few tetras would be ok I think. I actually have neon tetras and pencilfish with my angelfish with no problems, but I am hesitant to recommend them in case the angelfish might eat them when they get big. I agree that the otos should be fine with rams.

StinkyLoaf
TrainerRuby said:
see I've always had good luck with Oto's hence why I get them but ill defiantly keep other cleaners in mind.
Otos and other fish branded as "cleaners" don't really clean the tank. They might remove some algae but if the algae isn't spiralling out of control there's no need to remove any. If anything more fish equals more bioload which equals more algae. You can keep these fish, but keep in mind they won't clean the tank as well as most think.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom