55g Stocking Thread

SouthAmericanCichlids

Ok, so I saw appistos in a youtube video again today, and forgot how much I loved them, I mean, they were always in the back of my mind, but I think it would be cool to see them breed. So a revised plan, would this would:

4 angels non-paired or 2 paired angels
24 tetras of some sort
4 honey gouramis
2 appisto caucatoides
1 BN

Sorry this was from an old thread, so this is just space/behavioral stocking wise, not filtration, as I can up it if needed. So I have a 55g, it is a jungle scape with vals, crypts, and dwarf aquarium lilies. If you followed my other and remember for some odd reason, the only change are the appistos.

LowConductivity

If the goal is to breed Apistogramma, you're probably better off ditching everything else. Breeding Apistogramma will peck the BN's eyes out. The tetras and angels will eat the fry. "A community tank is NOT a breeding tank".

SouthAmericanCichlids

If the goal is to breed Apistogramma, you're probably better off ditching everything else. Breeding Apistogramma will peck the BN's eyes out. The tetras and angels will eat the fry. "A community tank is NOT a breeding tank".
Yeah, i guess I was most into seeing the behavior of the appistos as they were breeding, and I was planning on moving out the bristlenose and getting an additional one to breed in a separate tank.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Could I keep the pair with a BN, if I had a heavily planted tank. Because my goal for this first rendition of my 55g scape is to make it a jungle, where you can't see front to back there are so many vals and crypts.

Just wondering LowConductivity why did you leave a sad reaction to this?

SouthAmericanCichlids

Or instead could I just have one appisto, I would obviously do more research after this, but just want to know if they are compatible from the experienced first.

LowConductivity

One Apistogramma is fine. A pair of breeding Apistogramma are still not fish to share the bottom 1/3 of the tank with anything that's not a sacrifice regardless of how densely planted it is..

This isn't hyperbole, this is 300 pairs, of 50+ species of Apistogramma speaking.

SouthAmericanCichlids

One Apistogramma is fine. A pair of breeding Apistogramma are still not fish to share the bottom 1/3 of the tank with anything that's not a sacrifice regardless of how densely planted it is..

This isn't hyperbole, this is 300 pairs, of 50+ species of Apistogramma speaking.
Thank you, I think I'll do just one then. And then once I move my BN out with another female BN, I think I'll get another appisto then, if the pleco was the only problem. I was planning on breeding my BN anyways.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Would this work, without the pleco?

SouthAmericanCichlids

Bumping. Need more characters so: :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views