55g Stocking Opinions?

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am soon going to get my new 55g aquarium. I have created many stocking plans and it has changed many times. I think I finally have a good stocking: (of course after the tank is cycled)
3 Discus
1 Male Betta
1 Angelfish (maybe with betta)
8 Sterbai corys
1 BN Pleco

I am not sure about keeping a betta with a angelfish, but I would think a tank that large would be fine for 1 of each? Tank would be kept at 84F.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could do 6 in s 55. Keep up with the water changes. I would pass on the angel.
So keep it: ?
6 Discus
1 Betta
1 Bn Pleco
8 corys

I was planning on 1-2 25% water changes weekly and adding 1-2 discus a week after a month of completed tank cycling. Also I wanted to add the discus last, or should I add the betta last.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Better to add all the discus at once. No problem at that size. At least that is what I found out from my research and what I did. Also up the water change to 50%. Can’t wait to see a picture of your tank!

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Better to add all the discus at once. No problem at that size. At least that is what I found out from my research and what I did. Also up the water change to 50%. Can’t wait to see a picture of your tank!
Will all at once overload the bb? I get the tank later this week (already have the black sand and black background and decor haha) and plan on setting it up the same day. I think I may do a fish in cycle with a bn pleco with tetra safestart (I already have the pleco in a 20g)

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was thinking either a betta or an angelfish. Would a female betta work with them?
A Betta is only around 2 inches and discus get up to 8, also, I’ve never kept discus however I know they’re a part of the cichlid family and may end up nipping occasionally. I don’t the Betta would fare well with this. Also, in a 55 gallon tank the Betta could have trouble getting food with the discus outcompeting it.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A Betta is only around 2 inches and discus get up to 8, also, I’ve never kept discus however I know they’re a part of the cichlid family and may end up nipping occasionally. I don’t the Betta would fare well with this. Also, in a 55 gallon tank the Betta could have trouble getting food with the discus outcompeting it.
Would it just be better to get an angelfish instead of a betta?

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't add the angle if you have the discus. My suggestion would be to get a pair of rams.
I already have a GBR in my 20g and I can barely see him hes so small lol. I was thinking maybe Gold Rams.
An angelfish would be better, however that tank certainly doesn’t need one if it has 6 beautiful discus in it.
I wanted a larger tank just to get an angel, then I found discus. I also was thinking of only having 4-5 discus because of the pricing, and I dont really want 6.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
An angelfish would be better, however that tank certainly doesn’t need one if it has 6 beautiful discus in it.
I wouldn't add the angle if you have the discus. My suggestion would be to get a pair of rams.
Do you think this list would work?
4 Discus
1 Angelfish
1 Electric Blue Acara
3 Sunset thicklipped gourami (in my 20g and are aggressive so moving to larger tank, only aggressive within species)
1 Bn pleco
1 Pictus
6-8 Sterbais
Temp at 84F?

ShamFish97

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you think this list would work?
4 Discus
1 Angelfish
1 Electric Blue Acara
3 Sunset thicklipped gourami (in my 20g and are aggressive so moving to larger tank, only aggressive within species)
1 Bn pleco
1 Pictus
6-8 Sterbais
Temp at 84F?
One thing I wanted to share if you haven't tried it before: http://www.aqadvisor.com/. You can build your tank and get a general idea of what works and what doesn't, and we should be able to fill in any of the cracks (questions) you may have.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I use that ALL the time haha. I just worry about the acara and angels together. Do you think those would work? Also I plan on stocking this tank well haha, I will be having 2 75g HOB filters running with 1-2 25% water changes weekly.
One thing I wanted to share if you haven't tried it before: http://www.aqadvisor.com/. You can build your tank and get a general idea of what works and what doesn't, and we should be able to fill in any of the cracks (questions) you may have.

Nicholas pilgrim

Valued Member
Reaction score
i don't trust aqadvisor to stock my tanks
look at this forum
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/aqadvisor.66006/
Also i don't know about the angles and acara in the same tank. the rest seems alright though.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom