55g stocking ideas.

LucilleLelant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By all means pick holes. I am doing a planted community with only peaceful fish.

So far I have:
3 mystery snails,
5 nerites,
2 panda cory,
2 harlequin rasbora.

I'm planning on:
at least 4 more panada cory,
at least 4 more harlequin rasbora,
3-6 more mystery snails.

Then I'd like something brightly colored like Japanese endlers guppies, maybe some tetra (but I am nervous about how nippy they can be with my mystery snails antennas and also I will be moving over my blue neocardinia shrimp in a few months and I do not want them getting eatten. I would like a pleco but I am still playing with that idea right now as I'm not 100% sure due to my surplus in nerites.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would bump up # of corydoras to at least 8-12. The more you have, the more social they become.

Rainbowfish fish would do well in a planted 55g. I've got 4 myself, but since the tank they are in is already overstocked, I dont want to get more.

I've got 2 Boesmani and 2 Australian. The Australian dont have much color as Juviniles, so they are around $3. As mine grew up, their color intensified. The Boesmani are a nice blue and orange/gold color. Check out Millennials, they are red and look great.

About 6 Rainbowfish would look nice in a planted 55g.

I have no experience with snails, so I can't comment on any compatibility with them.

For the endless, check out the online sellers Aqua Huna & BioAquatix . Both have fish tours on YouTube .

RiverFisher87

Reaction score
I would try maybe bumping up the Cory’s, then added atleast 12 more rasboras, then just add a school of neons! It’ll stay simple, lots of small fish, and whatever else you want to add will go greatly in the tank!

RiverFisher87

Reaction score
So you would basically have a school of rasboras, 15 or so, then 15ish Cory’s, then 15 neons, and then have a good stock of snails and add them shrimp! And if you wanted to you could even add a dwarf gourami! Your tanks planes would really pop, then you will have tons of movement constantly and lots of colour with all the schools!

OP
LucilleLelant

LucilleLelant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow that's a lot! I wasn't even thinking I could stock to those levels honestly. I will definatly work on getting my cory and harlequin shoal up first though. It'll also give me a good amount of time to decide on what I'd like next. Rainbows sound wonderful. I'd prefer smaller fish. Mysteries have a big bio load but it's not an issue in a 55. It would only really start becoming an issue if I got to over 40.

New Threads