55g Stocking... Am I On The Right Track? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by katies, Jun 21, 2019.

1. katies

katiesNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All
    I have just upgraded to a 55g lightly planted tank and was planning out stocking it. Technically its my sons tank and all he HAS to have is a shark. So I am going with a redtailed black shark (he wont know it's a carp) the question is am I ok to also add 9 neon tetras, 9 zebra danios, and 7 tiger barbs? I know that the barbs can get a bit nippy but if you have more than 6 they tend to calm down. Is this a huge mistake or is there something else I should be looking at that is better suited but still looks cool like the tiger barbs? My starter tank currently has 1 betta and 6 tetras in a 10g tank so this is a huge step up for me and I'm a bit nervous as I don't really want to be a serial killer right off the bat.

2. StarGirl15

StarGirl15Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +292
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The red tailed shark and barbs will probably be ok. But I don't think the Danios and neons will work. look at either semi-aggressive or community fish.

3. Eirelav_mcgoo

Eirelav_mcgooValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +95
    Experience:
    Just started
    I've actually seem a couple members say stocking a large school of one fish can be better than stocking smaller schools of multiple fish. I'm probably going to create a larger school of one species once our smaller older fish die off.

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'd a actually recommend getting a rainbow shark, rather than a redtail. Red tails tend to be a little more aggressive compared to rainbows.

I would also reccomend upping the barb school, something to around 12 or so individuals.

Another bottomdwelling fish (like cories or a pleco) would also add some interest to the bottom layer of the tank

Imo, substituting the neons for larger, more robust fish like lemons, von Rio, black widows, serpaes or colombian tetras would also be something I'd reccomend. All of these fish can easily hold their own in a semi-aggressive community.