55g Stock Options

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by TaDah, Apr 14, 2017.

1. TaDah

TaDah Valued Member Member

OOOOKAAYYYY!!! so, my tank is up, plants will be going in soon.. I have looked and looked and i cant find anything really that answers my questions haha

i have a 55 gal 4 foot long by 2 feet tall tank. I just got my Finnex 24/7 planted+ lamp. I would like to have nice colorful fish that stand out to my black sand and also the green of the plants. I was thinking about discus but I read they were more for the ADVANCED fish hobbiest. I would like to keep the theme kind of Sunken City but if i cant, i wont.

I do know for the bottom i would like Kuhli Loaches but i read that Cories are fun to watch and are social? i just love the colors of the Kuhli. someone please tell me they have cool personalities too haha anywho..

I would love to have a schooling fish. I had tiger barbs that i loved. I dont like tetras, platys, mollies, whatever haha cichlids are awesome looking but i dont know how to keep them and I would be worried about the aggression. trying to keep it peaceful here. I had a RTS and it was mean and he would frustrate me ... tore up my other fish's fins.

any ideas are weclome :) and so much thanks ahead of time :)

Attached Files:

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Well if you do the Discus route then just make sure whatever fish you get are compatible with Discus and the warmer water temperature which would leave out a lot of fish (kuhlis and cories perfer cooler waters with the exception of sterbai)

Kuhlis are Cories are my favorite fish. Cories are more social while Kuhlis will occasionally stay hidden until feeding time.

I usually stay away from livebearers because of their reputation of being prolific breeders.

3. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with above!

So do you not want live bearers or any types of tetras? There are so many kinds

Do you want tiger barbs?

If so you could just do a school of 12-18 and it would look really nice! Or do you want a community tank? As mentioned kuhli loaches are also social but they are less active. But in a 55 you could do about 20!

4. OP
    OP
    TaDah

Does livebearer mean fish that birth live young? one of my platies dropped fry, or something, and one survived and grew up in my tank haha it was fun to watch!! But i def dont want a tank full haha

I wouldnt mind having tiger barbs again. I do like them alot and are one of my favorites i would have to say. i was just trying to try other fish.. kuhli and tiger barbs are similarly colored. cories look funny to me haha

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Yes

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Any other fish you like? You have so many options.

How about
    1 or 2 angelfish
    15 Cherry barbs
    20 Kuhli loaches
    2 GBR

Or
    15 Zebra/leopard/glo danios
    12 Rosy barbs or Odessa barbs
    2 Bolivian rams
    2 Peacock gobies
    15 Panda cories or 2-3 dojo loaches

7. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Have you considered rainbow fish? Bosemani rainbows (water temp should be low 80s) or praecox rainbows (water can be below 80 - I keep mine at 76). Get at least 6 of 1 species.

8. OP
    OP
    TaDah

I kinda like those guyys

9. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

They'd give you plenty of activity and color!

10. OP
    OP
    TaDah

My LFS has Albino Tiger Barbs i saw last night that i got excited about.

could i do the albino and regular tigers and the bolivian rams??? those are SUPER beautiful! the peacock gobies are nice too but i have zero experience with either of them.

11. BottomDweller

Yep! The albinos and regular tiger barbs will school together. Make sure you do a large school of them to stop them bullying others.

12. OP
    OP
    TaDah

Yea i only had like 7 but having a big group i think would be so fun.

are bolivian rams compatible with the barbs?

13. BottomDweller

They are compatible but if the barbs are in a group that is too small they may pick on the rams

14. OP
    OP
    TaDah

Okay so what if i do,
    15 tiger/albino tiger barbs
    8 kuhli or 3 dojo loaches
    2 Bolivian Rams
    and couple nerite snails

15. BottomDweller

Looks good!

16. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Looks good to me too!

17. OP
    OP
    TaDah

Do you think thats enough color or diversity?? I dont mind the 15 barbs. I love them haha

ALSO!! With my tank basically being brand new.. should i add the fish 2 at a time per day? do i have to quarantine them? I have never set up a quarantine tank before so that is a whole new endeavor in its own haha

18. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

You want to do it weekly, accompanied with testing to make sure there are no ammonia spikes. For the schooling fish your gonna want to do 6 a week

19. OP
    OP
    TaDah

so i could just buy 6 at a time and throw em in there (the proper way of course)? My LFS has them like super tiny so i dont think the bio load should be too extreme.

20. OP
    OP
    TaDah

okay so i wanna go get my first 6 tiger barbs today :) plants are doing well, water is doing good (i think haha)

here are my readings
    pH: 7.6 but i added some pH decreaser. im having an issue with the water rising in pH for some reason. anyway i can fix that or get to the bottom of it? yesterday it read at 8.2
    ammonia: 0ppm maybe between 0 and .25?
    nitrite: 0ppm
    nitrate: 5ppm
    GH: 180 <--- I KNOOOOW i cant get it down to save my life :( we here in Vegas have SUCH hard water :(
    KH: 80

think im ready to add them today or should i wait another week or so to see if i can do something to get the pH more balanced?
    @APierce @AngelTheGypsy what do you guys think? since last night i very much value your opinions :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice