55g show off

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Feeling pretty happy with this tank for the first time since I got it almost a year ago. New addition of Narrowleaf Ludwigia from cichlidman was a much needed touch.

DSCN0547.JPG

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It looks lovely :)

3. c

cheese Valued Member Member

beautiful :) I love your angelfish :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Me too! They are funny fish, follow me around the tank whilst the rasboras run away. I can also hand feed them the freeze dried shrimp I have, it's pretty cool, I think it's quite common with angels too.

5. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Pulled everything from the tank yesterday, it was an overgrown mess. Here's how it looks now however I must say photos do not do this tank justice for some reason, I think it must be the color of the sand/gravel combo. I tried to enhance the photo some, it allowed me to tone down the light glare and enhance the colors a little bit, but it still looks very drab in photos to me.

DSCN0678.JPG

6. TankOn 35

TankOn 35 Valued Member Member

What kind of light do you have on your tank it looks pretty strong
    Some sort of LEDs?

7. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

It's actually a dual T5HO fixture I bought on eBay for just under $50. Before this light I just had the standard hood with 2x18" T8 bulbs which is just ridiculously low on a 55g especially if you even think about growing plants
    This fixture grows plants really really well, I did have a cyanobacteria outbreak not too long into running this light but I increased flow and oxygenation in the tank and treated with chemiclean to get rid of it. Since then I haven't had any algae problems. I think this light is just right for the tank.

I don't dose any ferts either, just let the fish waste take care of that, the tank is moderate to fully stocked. I did let the tank go about 3 weeks without a water change prior to this rescape (did a 50% during the redo) and my nitrates were less than 20ppm. I have this tank well balanced IMO. The pearlgrass creates a nice carpet too being blasted with the higher light, it should grow in well in the center of the tank.

8. TankOn 35

TankOn 35 Valued Member Member

Cool I've been thinking of upgrading my T5s
    The tank looks great!

9. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Trimmed back the jungle

Attached Files: