55g Pleco Suggestions

Cadillac15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey everyone. So over the past few months I've really found what I love, plecos (even more than my Angelfish). Currently I have in a 37g tank: Adult Female Albino BN, Small male I believe Silvertip BN, and a Clown Pleco.

Last week I set up a 29g that has 4 Short Fin Super Red BN, and will be getting 2 Long Fin Super Reds for breeding.

So now onto my 55g. I'm finally ready to get it cycling (Finally finished building the stand -.-), but before I do I want to pic a Pleco for it. I want to base the tank around him and then fill in with other suitable tankmates. What I don't know is, what medium sized plecos would be alright for life in a 55g. I was originally thinking a Gold Nugget, King Tiger, Blue Phantom, or Green Phantom but I'm not sure if the tank could really house one that's 8-10". If it can, I'd love to know other plecos that can do a 55g that are in the 7-10" range. If not, what is the largest one I actually can do in there? I'm not looking for a bunch, but possibly 1-2 plecos in there total (leaning towards just the 1). Thanks!

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you are already over stocked on plecos on both your 37G and 29G. Even bristle nose can only be kept one per tank. Especially in a tank as small as 29G.

Cadillac15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the 29g has 4 that are about 1.5", I'm pretty sure they are ok until I get a breeding pair in there. On top of that, my 37g has a large BN and a 1.5" BN and is over filtrated. I have never had an issue with aggression in BN Plecos.

Cadillac15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anyone else? I'm leaning between the 3 Beacon pleco(L240), the green phantom(L200), and the blue phantom (L 128) for my 55g.

Cadillac15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've thought about the snowball, but I hadn't thought about the galaxy. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look more into him!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom