55g fowlr filtration

1. thatreefguy22 Member Member

Hey! I'm pretty new to these forums..and looking for some knowledgeable input.

Here's what I've played with,
    My first set up was up for about a year and it was a nano 10g reef,
    2 clowns
    A torch
    Mushrooms
    And a cuc.

And now I've decided to take that down and use the 10g as a sump on my 55g and I used a 3 chamber plastic tray storage and drilled holes and put any media in the trays, as water passes it will trickle over the media placed and be filtered.
    (I'll take photos later)

As of now, I only have a Picasso triggerfish, and I try and feed 2-3 times a week. And if there is a better number of times to feed that type of fish, please let me know!! Thanks :)
    Oh, this is stay a fowlr for a while because I can't afford better lighting for that sized tank.

I have a question(s) regarding filtration....
    Is it okay to have a sump without the use of baffles?
    What media do you use, and did you customize the way water passes through it? (tray method, sock, trickle etc.)
    What chemical media is good for a fish only tank?
    What bio media do you use? *other than live sand/rock.
    And lastly....
    What is a good protein skimmer rated for 55g and up?

I need the help upgrading my filtration throughout the weeks/months as I plan to add a few fish to this tank!! And these are my questions towards a efficient filtering system :) I appreciate any opinion and all help I can get! Thanks :)

I do weekly water changes about 3-4 gallons on Sundays/Mondays.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome.
    I am new to saltwater and not sure about your questions. However, there are many on this forum with tremendous amounts of experience. 1971roadrunner and ryanr have been very helpful to me. Plus there are numerous threads, articles, and general information available through the search bar at top left.

Good luck and again, welcome!

3. thatreefguy22 Member Member

Hey! And thanks a lot!! I'll keep looking around the forums.

4. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Hi, and welcome to Fishlore :). My first SW tank was a 55g and have a real soft spot in my heart for them still :)!!! You will need baffles in the sump to control micro bubbles, detritus and some mechanical filtration etc..in house. As you know you can DIY this (tons of youtubes etc...) or go with a manufacturer. I have the Aqueon proflex which I've had nearly a decade but they has mixed reviews by some which goes for most sumps (I like them) but extremely well priced and a lot of info out there on them. Keeping the skimmer in the last compartment is tricky 'cause the micro bubbles can get into the return pump - this can be rectified with some creativity. I would place the skimmer (like I have now in the middle compartment) and just get as much LR in there (anywhere) as possible for BB or just use the center for bio-balls etc..- up to you and your research. I always oversize as much as possible but the proflex model 1 (I would use the #2 model) and the reef octopus NWB110 (IMO-NEVER skimp on the skimmer). there are others well rated so take a look but these would be my first choices for price and performance. ttyl

* the socks are very helpful and come with most sumps.

5. thatreefguy22 Member Member

I have a question...what do you mean by "in house"?

Also, right now I don't have any baffles in the 10g I'm using for a sump, and as you see I'm using a plastic tray storage container for my filter floss/other media. I do plan on using a 20gal long when I get the chance to buy one and use that. Or I might buy that and put baffles in it.

But for now I have to stick with this set up, so could I just add a protein skimmer for now in the sump without baffles? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405297088.110942.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405296851.447778.jpg

6. thatreefguy22 Member Member

I am going to do my own DIY sump with baffles after I gather the materials and after doing a bit more research on baffle placement, and figure out what exactly I'm going to be using prior to filtration choices. So I'm guessing a 20L will be good for me.

My apologies if I don't make much sense :p lol trial and error. Yeknow haha