55g Community

1. stiglitz

stiglitz Well Known Member Member

55 gallon aquarium with sand, rocks and driftwood

12 Sterbai Corydoras
    6 Bloodfin Tetra
    4 Boesmani Rainbowfish
    4 Juvenile Angelfish (once a good size will take out 3 and leave myself with 1 adult as the centerpiece fish)

Would this set up work? There will be one Amazon sword in the middle of the tank and a few Java Fern tied on the driftwood.. Not enough plants perhaps or is this acceptable?

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

You will want 6 rainbows as they are schooling fish. I believe angels prefer having buddies you might want to have a pair of angels as the centerpiece.
    Otherwise it sounds good.

3. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Agreed. At least 6 Rainbows. I think you could even go up to 10 tetra, and 8 rainbow if you wanted. I agree on keeping a pair. Provided you have at least 1 male and 1 female Angel, a pair should form, then you can remove the other 2. If you can do more plants, it would be better. They provide oxygen to the water along with reducing nitrates. Also they are aesthetically pleasing to the eye. :)

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would also go with a bottom dwelling centerpiece, like a ram or a krib. Or some other dwarf cichlid pair....

5. OP
    OP
    stiglitz

stiglitz Well Known Member Member

It would be wonderful if I had a pair of Angelfish but if they bred I wouldn't have the capacity or resources to be able to properly take care of the fry which is why I only wanted one. But if their quality of life is better with a partner I may have to take that into account..

I think I'll keep it at 6 tetras and 6 rainbows just because I don't want the tank to be too busy. As far as plants the reason why I'm doing it so minimal is because I only have 30 total watts of my T8's (on a 55g), no CO2, and only root tabs + Flourish. If you could recommend other plants that would at least stay alive in such a limited setup that'd be great.

6. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

You can always remove the eggs, sometimes other things will get to them first anyways!

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member