55g Community "centerpiece" Fish Help Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by SunEater, Apr 11, 2018.

1. SunEater

SunEater New Member Member

Hello! I'm rather new to the hobby, and I was wanting to see what everyone thought of the stocking ideas I have and what some suggestions are that people have for a good, fry-eating, centerpiece fish.
    My tank has been cycled, has sand and gravel substrate with live plants.

pH: 7.4 (8.2 out of tap)
    kH: 53.7 ppm
    gH: 107.4 ppm
    Temp: 78
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5-10

Current Fish Stock:
    5 albino corydoras
    5 neon tetras (wanting more)
    18 marigold and black molly fry (1.5 cm at biggest, giving most if not all to LFS)

What I want is a peaceful tank with one decent-sized "centerpiece" fish to help control the molly fry population from my mom's tank and that is hopefully pretty personable!

Ideas I've been tossing around are an angelfish (I know they could eat the tetras, but I heard if you get a juvenile and they grow up with the tetras this can be less of an issue?)

A dwarf Gourami.

A black Moor goldfish?
    I've heard both this can be an absolute disaster and that it could work out. I love these guys, but I don't want to get it if the tank will be too warm, too much food competition, not enough space, etc. Just want some experienced opinions!

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

What about a couple Bolivian Rams?

3. Sonya

Sonya Valued Member Member

An angel fish would be lovely. But you will hear mixed reviews on them in terms of community/tetra. My angel I've had for quite a while, lives peacefully in a 75 gallon with some tetra and other fish. You could end up with a more aggressive angelfish though. It's a gamble.

4. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

I would only keep a goldfish with its own kind. They are very messy fish and goldfish, and a black moor especially, might have issues successfully competing for food with the other, faster fish.

5. OP
    OP
    SunEater

SunEater New Member Member

I heard they can be a little delicate to water parameters. Or is that the German blue I'm thinking of?

That's what I've heard! Either it really is an angel, or it'll eat all your tetras lol. I may end up trying one since I do like them quite a bit.

That's what I figured :( they're adorable, but it looks like I'll have to wait until I've got a tank just for them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice