55g cichlid tank: Fish with personality!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Skysong87, Dec 31, 2012.

1. S

Skysong87 Valued Member Member

110g cichlid tank: Fish with personality!

Hello all,

I am planning a new tank! Never mind that I just got a new one and that it isn't even cycled yet, lol :p it is not my fault that mts is contagious.

Anyway, I am only allowed to have 2 tanks so I have to make it count! My 5ft 140g tank will be a peaceful community with 1 angel, 2 ebr and 3 pearl gourami with a multitude of smaller tetras and others.

So for my second tank I want something a little different. Possibly a semi-aggressive tank. It's size is somewhat negotiable as it will be a custom job. However no bigger than a 55g.

What I really want is fish with personality! I've heard an Oscar has a great personality but that they need a larger tank :( I don't really mind about looks or how many fish. So ... Suggestions?

Since I've been thinking about this stocking some of my thoughts ...

Fancy goldfish
    Tiger barbs
    Convict cichlid
    Shark (red-tailed or rainbow)
    Severum
    Yoyo loaches
    Or even a mbuna tank :)

I'm not sure how much personality any of those have though! (And obviously not all of them in the one tank!)

Feel free to suggest anything you can think of that has personality and that would fit in a 55!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Blood parrots, I hear, are personality plus. I'd recommend clown loaches but they get too big...they have a smaller cousin in a bluish color but the name escapes me.

3. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Take a look at my gallery. I keep 2 tanks of cichlids and I love the breed. I also love blood parrots - I have 3 total. As far as aggression eh there is no way around it. There is always a chase here and there in both tanks. I have had to make some moves because of certain ones getting picked on etc etc but I still love cichlids. I have a 75 gallon and a 28 gallon totalling about 20 cichlids I would guess? They are fun and have lots of personality. I can pet a couple of mine. I once had oscars and oscars are cool fish - I use to pet those too but! They get huge and fast especially if you feed them live food. You should look into Peacocks - they are very cool with bright colors. I still have a issue or 2 with territorial guys so I will come up with something but overall that is my fish of choice hands down.

4. J

John14 Valued Member Member

For a 55 you should be able to do a Rainbow or Red-tail Shark, 3-4 Pictus Catfish (more personality than any other bottom dweller/feeder IMO, they also go nuts when being fed!) and then you can have a school of 6-8 Tiger barbs which are very active as well. These fish should fill your tank very nicely especially when full grown and give it plenty of personality. The Pictus and Rainbow/Red-tail will chase smaller Tiger Barbs but if you buy them at 2-2.5 inches and then the smaller Pictus and Rainbow/Red-tail you should be fine. I think this would make an awesome tank! I have other idea's if you don't like this as well. Let me know!

Pictus Catfish

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Botia Modesta ;) who can get to be a very fat 10 inches and are personality plus. Still need a huge tank for a good sized group.

Carol

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Blue botia :)

7. OP
    OP
    S

Thank you for the replies everyone! I really liked the idea of a peacock tank and I was really considering that ... But then I made a deal with my mum and i'm allowed to buy a bigger tank now. Oscar here I come!

It depends how much they cost but tank options are:
    *85g 48x18x24
    *110g 60x18x24
    *130g 72x18x24

So of the following which would work with an oscar?

Tiger barbs
    Rainbow or red tailed shark
    Yoyo loaches
    Pictus catfish (or some other type of catfish?)
    Convict
    JD
    Blood parrot
    Severum
    Rainbowfish? (or are they not aggressive enough?)

8. Eienna

The bigger the better for an oscar :)

The loaches might get eaten....

9. Butterfly

To me Loaches are very personality + :)
    You could have lots of rock work, even plants if you like but you don't have to.
    10-12 Kuhlis  
    or the solid ones

5 yoyos  
    5 zebra loaches  
    6-8 chain loaches  
    10 rosy loaches  

10. Eienna

Thanks, yes. I forget they still got that big XD

11. OP
    OP
    S

Yeah I was pretty sure the yoyos wouldn't go. It's a pity because I like them, obviously lol. But I wouldn't want them to get eaten ...

Butterfly - yes I love loaches as well lol. Too bad they won't go with an Oscar. But I do already have 13 Kuhli loaches that will be going in my peaceful community tank.

I was thinking about tanks today and I thought it would be better to give my 140g 5ft tank to the Oscar since the other tank I will be getting will only be around 18 inches wide ... But the problem is I've already put the substrate in which consists of sand, laterite, fertiliser and some plant additive. And it's in layers. I would not feel comfortable leaving this in the tank with an Oscar since it will most likely dig and stir up something toxic. So I would probably have to throw the whole lot out :(

For the new tank I will probably skip the 48in, I feel that's a little too small. So minimum 110g 60x18x24. That should be fine for an Oscar and a few tank mates shouldn't it? And if it isn't too much extra I will save up for the 130g 72x18x24.

12. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think one of my biggest personality fish are the angelicus loaches. They are in a 125 - they did not HAVE to stay in that one spot. The rainbows also have a lot of personality, as far as schooling fish go. Maybe not good candidates with the oscar though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL2VAp2m3vQ

You can clearly see the hierarchy, which I find fascinating to watch. I had 5 but lost one after the hurricane.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  13. Butterfly

Those are really cool Jaysee :) I had some of those several years ago and lost them soon after I got them so i don't have much experience with them. but like most Botia they seem to be really active.
    Carol

14. OP
    OP
    S

Lol, thank you for the video jaysee. They do look like a fun fish. I've never seen them for sale around here before.

If I went with the 110g 60x18x24 would the following work:
    1 Oscar
    1 jack Dempsey
    1 severum
    1 rainbow shark
    1 convict
    And would a schooling fish fit as well? Any suggestions for schools?

15. OP
    OP
    S

Ok, so I've decided it is silly to give the little fish the big tank and the big fish the smaller tank so I will just have to take out the substrate that is in there -.- so the Oscar now gets the 142g tank (5x2x2). Would the following stocking work?

1 Oscar
    1 jack Dempsey
    1 severum
    1 convict
    1 rainbow shark
    6 red-tailed tinfoil barbs (B. Altus not B. Schwanenfeldii).

If the barbs won't work any other suggestions for schools?

16. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, the stock looks fine.

17. OP
    OP
    S

Thank you for that cichlidnut :)

Would that be considered fully stocked? I'm not sure how I feel about the convict and the shark, so I may remove them from the list. Would I then be able to add 1-2 more tinfoils? I don't want to overcrowd but I also want them to feel comfortable with their school.

Edit: and in what order would you stock the tank?

18. C

Are they all full grown? Check out Chocolate Cichlids, they are really cool too :D

If they aren't fully grown, I'd do the Oscar last. They grow faster than all the other fish.

I have a rainbow shark in my 125g Cichlid community. I don't like it. They like to pester the other fish more than I care for.

I don't see any issues with adding a couple more barbs.

19. OP
    OP
    S

The Oscar, jd, and severum I can buy at 2 inches long, I'm not sure on the tinfoils though as the website doesn't sell them so I'd have to special order at the LFS.

The chocolate cichlid does look nice! I just finished reading a bit about it. Apparently they are a more peaceful cichlid and a little shy. Would 1 go ok with an Oscar and a jd since they are more aggressive?

20. C

Yeah, Chocolates get just as big and can defend themselves if needed.

2 inches is pretty small. I'd get the other fish first and grow them out. Then get the Oscar. They really grow amazingly fast.

In 5 months, mine went from a tiny baby to this :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice