55g Beginner Tank Build!

1. K

Kelvin Nhim Initiate Member

Hey everyone! I recently got into the fish hobby (about 2 months or so) and started off with a 10g betta community fish tank and instantly wanted to go bigger. So I got myself a 55g fish tank from petsmart. I didn't really know what to do and what to put in it so I kind of researched quickly and ended up with what I have now haha. I must admit, I do regret some things but the tank turned out a lot better than I expected. For a 17 year old, all this fish stuff has gotten pretty expensive, but I keep on going back for more. So here's my tank. I have the topfin starter kit that provided the hood, heater, and filter, a sponge filter, black gravel, 2 pieces of driftwood I got at my local lake, swirl bamboo, 2 java ferns, 1 moss ball, 3 hortwort, dwarf hairgrass and a random plant from a petco bulb. I also got slates to weigh my driftwood down. The fish I currently have are albino cory catfish, neon tetras, assorted guppies, mollies and platys, amano shrimp, red cherry shrimp, and a mystory ivory snail. I'm having some beginner struggles because I'm not sure if my tank was fully cycled because I did lose about 10+ fish so far.... looks like back to internet research for me. But heres the tank and whats in it!

p.s any help for a beginner would certainly be appreciated!

2. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

The tank looks great!! yep fish keepers always end up with MTS

what are your current parameters ?

and how many of each fish do you have left?

what de-clhorinator are you using?

3. OP
    OP
    K

Kelvin Nhim Initiate Member

Im not sure on parameters, but i have 5 cory catfish, 9 neon tetras, 4 guppies, 2 mollies and 2 platys. Im using the aqueon water conditioner

4. bNissan

bNissan Member Member

Your profile says that you do not know about the Nitrogen Cycle. Basically, the Nitrogen Cycle is what gets rid of the ammonia produced by fish waste that is poisonous for fish. When the nitrogen cycle is up and running it means that you have two colonies of beneficial bacteria. One turns ammonia into nitrites, and the other turns nitrites into nitrates. Your water is not healthy for fish to live in until both colonies are able to do both of their jobs simultaneously. It can take weeks to totally complete a cycle. You also need to be doing water changes in order to get rid of excess nitrates over a certain ppm.

A water test kit would be very beneficial for you. It sounds like your tank might not be cycled.

You can pick up an API Master Test Kit for around $25 on amazon that will last you a good while. It will also help people around here better assist you in diagnosing problems.

Are you using water conditioner to de-chlorinate your tank water before putting it into the tank? How often are you doing water changes, and how much water are you changing?