55g Aqueon Aquaium With Cracked Bottom Rim.

goldface
My father found this by the dumpster at his place of work and thought I might want it (of course I do!). I thought it was a great find. It didn't need much cleaning, all panels of the glass being pretty clean already. No scrubbing necessary!

So I looked it over, top to bottom for damage, and everything looked good; filled it to the top for a leak test; then left it overnight. Next day, everything went as expected. No leak. Hakuna matata. Or so I thought.
I removed most of the water, then left it for a couple weeks. I get back to it and find a small crack on both sides of the plastic aquarium rim. That is, one crack on the left and another on the right on only that one side. Not sure if it was there before or if someone pushed, moved, it a little on the concrete it was left on. Now I'm wondering if it's worth the risk or whether or not to just buy a new one. Feel like I need to buy one since I've invested a lot of time on deciding what to stock it with, etc. Maybe I'll just get a 75g. What do you guys think? Has the structural integrity been compromised?

20190617_212242.jpg

86 ssinit
Is the crack on the plastic rI'm or the glass tank? I can’t see it.

goldface
The crack is on the bottom plastic rI'm only. As far as I know the glass appears fine all around.

86 ssinit
If the crack doesn’t go all the way through I would just put a little gorilla glue on it to solidify it and you should be good to go. Nothing better than free .

AmStatic
My father found this by the dumpster at his place of work and thought I might want it (of course I do!). I thought it was a great find. It didn't need much cleaning, all panels of the glass being pretty clean already. No scrubbing necessary!

So I looked it over, top to bottom for damage, and everything looked good; filled it to the top for a leak test; then left it overnight. Next day, everything went as expected. No leak. Hakuna matata. Or so I thought.
I removed most of the water, then left it for a couple weeks. I get back to it and find a small crack on both sides of the plastic aquarium rim. That is, one crack on the left and another on the right on only that one side. Not sure if it was there before or if someone pushed, moved, it a little on the concrete it was left on. Now I'm wondering if it's worth the risk or whether or not to just buy a new one. Feel like I need to buy one since I've invested a lot of time on deciding what to stock it with, etc. Maybe I'll just get a 75g. What do you guys think? Has the structural integrity been compromised?
View attachment 568853
I wouldn't risk it at all. 55 gallons of water cascading out of a tank is no joke.

And if you're already considering a 75, just go 75. After about 3 months with a 55 I was already regretting it.. it's so narrow (depth wise).

Check Letgo app.. you'll find a great deal from an aquarist looking to upgrade to something larger than they currently have and will sell you their former pride and joy at a very reasonable price.

Good luck!

coralbandit
I have always stood by the rI'm on bottom is not as important since all the side panels are silicone to bottom keeping the glass from bowing itself .
My only thought on bottom trim is a bumper of sorts ..
If it still sits level and won't fall apart it is all good in my book !
I might superglue the rI'm just to keep it from growing or getting caught on something..

NavyChief20
Model glue. Sand the area with 150 and then model glue it. It will restore the integrity of the plastic rim

MomeWrath
Model glue. Sand the area with 150 and then model glue it. It will restore the integrity of the plastic rim
I'd pretty much follow any advice from this guy lol.
You could also (in addition to the above) put it on/build a stand with trim that would hide and/or snug up against the mended plastic, just for extra insurance.

Skavatar
"the plastic trim does one of two things depending on its location. For the top it reduces/minimizes the deflection of the long glass panes. This is especially true with the cross-braces. For the bottom, it externally braces the bottom seam, buttressing the seam against the outward pressure of the water. Again, the cross braces on the bottom transfer the load straight across the bottom of the tank."

RHONDA PIMENTEL
It might of been thrown out for a reason...? I would never chance it. Especially with a larger aquarium. Better safe than sorry. I would repurpose it to something with less water pressure. A terrarium or vivarium, turtles, lizards,newts...etc. imo.

goldface
Sorry guys and ladies, I meant to post another photo, a closeup one of the crack, but I was very busy. I really appreciate everyone's input. Still undecided on what to do. The plastic rI'm is cracked all the way through. It's not a shallow, superficial one, so I don't think sanding will do any good? I'll post a pic later (hopefully tonight).

coralbandit
The whole bottom of the tank is the largest Euro brace going ???
Think about it..Would that not be acceptable on the top ??Many make and keep their Euro bracing with open spaces ..
Tops bow since nothing is caulked to them .If the bottom bowed would not the silicone fail ??
Look up Euro bracing and turn tank upside down in your head ..The bottom frame is not needed at all.You could just place foam under it like all other nations and go !

goldface
The whole bottom of the tank is the largest Euro brace going ???
Think about it..Would that not be acceptable on the top ??Many make and keep their Euro bracing with open spaces ..
Tops bow since nothing is caulked to them .If the bottom bowed would not the silicone fail ??
Look up Euro bracing and turn tank upside down in your head ..The bottom frame is not needed at all.You could just place foam under it like all other nations and go !
Thanks, I do value your advice. You do have a very good point, lol!

Skavatar
aren't rimmed tanks, rimless tanks, and euro-brace tanks made with different specs? like thickness and quality of the glass and the thickness and quality of the silicone?

NavyChief20
Sorry guys and ladies, I meant to post another photo, a closeup one of the crack, but I was very busy. I really appreciate everyone's input. Still undecided on what to do. The plastic rI'm is cracked all the way through. It's not a shallow, superficial one, so I don't think sanding will do any good? I'll post a pic later (hopefully tonight).
The sanding is to provide a better bond site for the glue. Model glue on that plastic will chemically bod it together and make it one solid piece. Where are you at if you just want to toss it ill take it.

goldface
I figured I finally give an update. I did what NavyChief suggested and went to my Hobby Lobby for some model glue. I squeezed enough to fill in the cracks, then moved my goldfish from the 40 to the 55. I was a tiny bit nervous at first, but not really expecting anything to happen at this point. If something does, I'll upgrade to a larger tank. And hey, free tank; can't complain. Again, thanks for everyone's input.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LJC6780
Replies
Views
mrjohn
Replies
Views
Butterscotchx
Replies
Views