Question 55g Angel Fish Stocking Question

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 55 gallon with 1 Male Angel, 2 Pearl Gourami (Male and female), 25 black phantom tetras, 2 Bristlenose plecos. It’s planted and I’m gonna add more plants soon.
Now it may sound near fully stocked but I have just above 500 gph (estimated 515-550) plus I have some really nice hob filters that I can use if needed. I was planning on getting 8 or so Hatchet fish, but I learned they are jumpers which just wont work with my setup. I have a lid but there are large gaps and such. I was hesitant at first, but I’m sort of leaning towards getting more Angels.
My male is pretty skiddish and wimpy as is. My male gourami is top of the pecking order. If I got say 4 more juvenile bordering adult angels or so would this be a very bad idea? I wouldn’t be worried about one killing the other. If a pair would arise I can relocate. I just don’t want extreme violence in my tank I just want more space taken up. What you you guys think??

This question isn’t necessarily time sensitive but I’m going to the lfs tomorrow and I won’t have another chance for maybe 3 weeks or so.

Here is the tank
IMG_3803.jpg

I have been behind on my waterchanges in the last month or so but that was just due to my schedule. If everything stays normal I do around two 30% changes every 10 days.
Sorry for the messy post it’s been awhile.

Thanks!!

Daisytattoo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve found that if you have lots of plants, good filtration, keep up with water changes, and don’t overfeed, you can be a little overstocked. If you add angels, make sure they are of similar size to your current one. 4 or 5 angels isn’t too many for that size of tank in my opinion. My angels will pick on each other sometimes, but nothing too serious. Also, make sure you quarantine any new ones first. I broke that rule myself recently and am currently treating for ich.

angeltank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've got a pair of angels in a 55g. Not sure they'd like to share their space with another pair of large territorial fish, like the gourami. If you want to try a pair adding them now while they're small is definitely your best bet and maybe with the right structures provided on both sides of the tank the Angels will set up shop on one end and the gouramis on the other, but then I'm not sure how much swimming room that'll leave for the tetras. I've not tried this for these reason.definitely not saying it can't work, just expressing what my concerns would be. Angels get very aggressive when they breed.

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah either go with one angel or lots of them, I've got two full grown males, that have been in a 4' tank together since they were the size of a nickel, and it's clearly not nearly enough room for them. They can get quite violent with each other to be honest. If I had more angels to spread the aggression might work but the fear of ending up with a pair or pairs that might get territorial and aggressive to the rest of the community, I'm leaning more towards just removing one of them.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd suggest against getting a group of angels. You already pretty stocked on large, territorial fish and may be better off with getting another school of fish? Like maybe adding to the tetra school, getting a new species of tetra (like rummies and lemons for example), rainbowfish, rasbora or group of cories/kuhlies.

Could even do an apisto pair, or some rams.

Last edited:

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah either go with one angel or lots of them, I've got two full grown males, that have been in a 4' tank together since they were the size of a nickel, and it's clearly not nearly enough room for them. They can get quite violent with each other to be honest. If I had more angels to spread the aggression might work but the fear of ending up with a pair or pairs that might get territorial and aggressive to the rest of the community, I'm leaning more towards just removing one of them.
When I first started out I had the same. Two males. The fish I kept was seriously bullying the submissive one, but after I got the gourami he doesn’t do much.

Hey! Say happy birthday to this tank!! It’s one year old exactly today!!!

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd suggest getting a group of angels. You already pretty stocked on large, territorial fish and may be better off with getting another school of fish? Like maybe adding to the tetra school, getting a new species of tetra (like rummies and lemons for example), rainbowfish, rasbora or group of cories/kuhlies.

Could even do an apisto pair, or some rams.
I’ve been looking at getting some more schooling fish. I have like 8-9 pages on a word document of all my ideas so I’ll check what I have there. I have this sort of color scheme and I don’t want to throw in say a bright yellow fish when every other fish is a dim blue-grey color. The pearl gourami already threw off my color but it’s alright cus they are beautiful.

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
56c2270ac19729609735bbb8c46d1800.jpg

4 juvenile angels. I’d say about 2/3 the size of the one I already own. They had 4 really nice similarly sized angels at my lfs but it was outrageously priced. 2 for 45 dollars! I got these 4 for 20. I’ll update when they are in the tank.

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
56c2270ac19729609735bbb8c46d1800.jpg

4 juvenile angels. I’d say about 2/3 the size of the one I already own. They had 4 really nice similarly sized angels at my lfs but it was outrageously priced. 2 for 45 dollars! I got these 4 for 20. I’ll update when they are in the tank.
Keep an eye on them as they grow, if you've got enough to make two pairs the odd one out will likely get picked on by both pairs. If you're lucky and end up with one or maybe no pairs it should be enough to spread out any aggression.

Attachments

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Keep an eye on them as they grow, if you've got enough to make two pairs the odd one out will likely get picked on by both pairs. If you're lucky and end up with one or maybe no pairs it should be enough to spread out any aggression.
One in particular that I just bought seems quite energetic. I’m guessing he will be one of the more aggressive ones.

angeltank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
5482a9de9d70471089c2ce423f220730.jpg

The fish are in and as expected I did see my angel be agressive towards the other angels. It’s spread out and one of the new angels even pecked back so for now I think it good.
That looks really nice. I love the combo of the gold and black angels with the black phantom tetras. I think I'm jealous.

Attachments

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That looks really nice. I love the combo of the gold and black angels with the black phantom tetras. I think I'm jealous.
I’m not sure what to do about the mess of jungle Val. I could cut it but I don’t see any new sprouts and I haven’t for the last month. I don’t want it to die or anything. Also it seems like once you snip the top it stops growing. Leaves these ugly stubs half way up the tank.

angeltank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m not sure what to do about the mess of jungle Val. I could cut it but I don’t see any new sprouts and I haven’t for the last month. I don’t want it to die or anything. Also it seems like once you snip the top it stops growing. Leaves these ugly stubs half way up the tank.
Sorry. I'm no help with live plants. I've got no experience there.

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aggression is still relatively high. I see my old angel peck here and there at the new ones, but I see it more between my old angel and my male gourami rather than between the new angels and my old one.

angeltank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aggression is still relatively high. I see my old angel peck here and there at the new ones, but I see it more between my old angel and my male gourami rather than between the new angels and my old one.
Yeah, my money is still on you having to remove either the angels or gourami, but I don't mind being wrong and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll work it out and decide to get along. Then let's hope no pairs form!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom