55g And 20g Stocking

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I currently have none of these fish but this is what I think could work out well. Room temp is 78-80F including during the nights, 7.5PH, 250 total hardness, 100 GH. I have pretty hard water and since I live in the desert its already 100+ during the day and maybe around 85F at night.

55g: 4 Discus, 6-8 Sterbai corys, 8-10 Rummynose, 1 Blue Ram, 1 Gold Ram, 1 Electric Ram (temp 85F)

20g: 1 Male Betta, 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 6 peppered or Juli corys (temp 82F)

Both tanks are well planted with many hiding spots. The 55g tank has sand and the 20g tank has gravel, but its pretty fine. 55g is a long tank (48x13x21) and 20g is a tall tank.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think both of those could work, though discus will do best in groups of 5 or more. That would be ok in a 55 but you might have to take out a few rummy's

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think both of those could work, though discus will do best in groups of 5 or more. That would be ok in a 55 but you might have to take out a few rummy's
Yeah, thats why I was thinking just 4 Discus. I was thinking of purchasing 3 at first, then in a week or 2 get 1-2 more. Should I do cardinals instead of rummynose because of how active the rummynose are? Also do cardinals get the same disease that neons can get?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well you actually kind of want some pretty active fish with discus, it helps show them the tank is safe to swim around and nothing will attack them

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well you actually kind of want some pretty active fish with discus, it helps show them the tank is safe to swim around and nothing will attack them
Oh so the corys and rummynose will be perfect for them. Is there anyway I could squeeze in cardinals?

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since it's a four foot tank I would say you can do cardinals too
Alright sweet! I was thinking of adding the discus in last after having a well established tank. I was going to do fish in cycles using the corys in both tanks probably at the same time. I have both the tanks already established but A disease spread through both my tanks killing almost all of my fish in 4 days and the rest aren't looking too good. I have been treating with ick-x for almost a week but I think I got another disease which are killing the fish much faster. I was planning on setting the tank temp to over 90F for 2-3 weeks then replacing my filter media entirely. Should I buy new equipment like nets etc or will they die off without water?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would also add the discus last, if you use the cory's for the cycle just be sure there's only enough food for them to eat so you don't get extra ammonia from rotting food
If you're positive it's ich then you should be fine just leaving the heat up for a few days after the last spot is gone. If you don't know it would be better to play it safe and thoroughly clean everything

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would also add the discus last, if you use the cory's for the cycle just be sure there's only enough food for them to eat so you don't get extra ammonia from rotting food
If you're positive it's ich then you should be fine just leaving the heat up for a few days after the last spot is gone. If you don't know it would be better to play it safe and thoroughly clean everything
I know its not just ick because the last few fish that have died got maybe 4 white spots on them the day before and then died the following morning. Im really not sure which of my fish will make it. I do have some gouramis left in my big tank which I think will survive as long as most fish in my 20g. Only time will tell. Also this happened at the worst time, I am leaving for the entire month of July for vacation and someone coming by once a week to feed/clean the tank.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hmm, I'm not sure I can be of much help with that disease thing. I would try posting it in the freshwater fish disease section of the forum and see if someone can get you a good answer

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The discus will need a bigger tank eventually, imo. As they grow I'd move them into a 75g. Should be fine for quite a while in the 55 though.

The 20g is incompatible. The cory species you mentioned need far cooler temps than 82F, I'd rehome them and switch to either kuhli loaches or a warm water cory, like aeneus, duplicareus, sterbai, or adolfoi.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The discus will need a bigger tank eventually, imo. As they grow I'd move them into a 75g. Should be fine for quite a while in the 55 though.

The 20g is incompatible. The cory species you mentioned need far cooler temps than 82F, I'd rehome them and switch to either kuhli loaches or a warm water cory, like aeneus, duplicareus, sterbai, or adolfoi.
I will only have the discus for 2 years since I am leaving for college then, and I plan on buying them at 3-4in. I dont want loaches because I dont get to see them a lot haha. I was going to put sterbai corys with the discus. What other bottom feeder do you recommend? I didnt want the same bottom feeder in both tanks.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you have duplicareus, adolfoi, or albino/bronze cories available?
Get all discus at same time ..Save up if needed ..
I have peppered, albino, green, sterbai, julii, and panda corys readily avaliable.

Alright, should I get 4 or 5 discus with my current stocking plan? Thinking 6-8 corys, and 8 of the 2 tetras.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
To go with the discus? Sorry, got a little lost. Aren't sterbai the only ones that can take that heat?
No, for the 20g.
Edit: And no, there are more warm-water cories than just sterbai. Adolfoi, duplicareus, splendens, and aeneus are some others.
I am for sure putting sterbai corys with the discus in the big tank. I was thinking some green and albino corys to go with the betta and rasboras. Would they be ok at 80-82F?

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 76 65.5%

Top Bottom