55G African Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Paulvechkin, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Paulvechkin

Paulvechkin Valued Member Member

Hey guys, I just bought a standard 48" 55g tank for my classroom at my new teaching job where I will be teaching a Marine Biology class. I already have a 29G set aside for a planted apisto breeding tank (to teach life cycle) and in my 55G I'm looking for some bigger colorful fish that I dont want to have to plant the tank.

I've kept Labs 1M:3F , Red Zebra 1M: 3F, and Demonsoni before and have bread Labs and the Zebras (the demonsoni was a sole male). I'm really wanting to do peacocks either

A) 1M:2-3F Dragons Blood and 1M:2-3F OB (I know both are hybrids and many people have issues with that but I find the colors stunning) for 8-10 fish all in the 4-6" range. Both these breads are suppose to be easy to sex as Juvies with the females not having the bright colors

or

B) 6-8 All male peacocks which my LFS has a special tank reserved for only males at about 3" a fish.

I'd like to avoid Mbuna if possible as I've already done that once.

2. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

12 peacocks in a 55, 2 species 1male to 5 females, or all males. A male and female tank is easier to do. Avoid OB peacocks there hybrids but they are also agressive compare to other peacocks.

3. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Sorry, but I just wanted to ask why you want an African Cichlid tank if you are teaching the class about marine biology? Shouldn't it be a salt water reef or FOWLR tank?

And you can listen to and trust that LeoDiaz guy, he knows his stuff with cichlids!

4. LeoDiaz

Thanx, i was going to ask the same question but didnt.

5. OP
    OP
    Paulvechkin

I have no experience with salt water tanks. The idea is they can do the water testing, water changes, etc. Give the class a more hands on aspect. I know a larger reef tank would be better but FW are better than no fish

6. LeoDiaz

True, so your going to incorporate the tank into your classwork? Or is just going to be like a side thing?

7. OP
    OP
    Paulvechkin

Ok I'll avoid those. Likely go with 2 species with males and females. I'm not worried about fry, I'm not going to remove them and from my understanding is that with the more carnivorous nature of Peacocks most won't survive, those that do my next door neighbour at the school has Peacock Bass in a 700G tank who can cull.

8. LeoDiaz

Also avoid Aulonocara jacobfreibergi there to agressive and to big. Yes fry wont survive if your lucky 1-2 will survive. Or you can sell the fry they sell well.Btw female peacocks look very dull.

9. OP
    OP
    Paulvechkin

Water chemistry is a large part of the course so things like weekly water testing will be the responsibility of the class. We also do a fresh water unit. There's going to be 2 fish tanks and 1 shrimp tank all which will have different needs so I think that will give a hands on feel at times.

10. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Is the school district paying for this or are you? I wish I had a teacher like you that did this stuff. It will not only teach them about the chemistry and such, it will teach them how to properly set up an aquarium, which has the potential of saving 100's, or even 1000's of fish lives. Make sure to covering the cycling aspect and how the bacteria forms and what its job is!

11. OP
    OP
    Paulvechkin

Breeding behaviour is always interesting though. Every tank I've had I never wanted breeding but then always brought it in and it was way more fun.

12. OP
    OP
    Paulvechkin

Well I get a classroom budget of about $300 so I should get it back. If not I don't care, it's an excuse to have a tank too big for my condo lol. I'll cover the nitrogen cycle but Im hoping that have the tanks cycled before srudebts return to school. I've added extra media to my filter in my 20G so I can seed the tanks and cycle in a week instead of a month

13. LeoDiaz

Wat will happen to the tanks during summer breaks if you cant fit them in your condo?

14. OP
    OP
    Paulvechkin

I live close to the school and I get keys all year (through out the Summer too). Feeders and lights on timers and I'll go in one a week to change water. I teach symmer school too so it's only 3 weeks that i would need to make an extra trip

15. LeoDiaz

Ok, GL setting up the tanks.

16. OP
    OP
    Paulvechkin

The plan after visiting the LFS is:
    1M:3F Dragons Blood
    1M:3F Sulfur Head
    1 Syno Cat

im not sure if it's possible to add
    1M:3F Yellow lab to the mix

17. LeoDiaz

3 species are 2 many for a 55 the dragons and sulfur should be enough just up there female number. What kinda syno?

18. OP
    OP
    Paulvechkin

Ok no labs then. I was thinking a feather fin. Seems to be a common choice in a Malawi tank

19. LeoDiaz

I would get something smaller featherfins get pretty big for a 55.

20. OP
    OP
    Paulvechkin

Maybe a cuckoo then

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice